Late 2013 rMBP backlit keyboard flicker

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dreamwiz84, Nov 7, 2013.

1. dreamwiz84 macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I just got the 13" late 2013 rMBP yesterday. Almost all is well, except the backlit keyboard. It flickers. Like every 5-10 seconds, it "flashes" once for a nanosecond, like lights going on/off very quickly.

In attempt to fix this, I on/off the auto adjust keyboard lighting setting in preferences. No fix. I then talked to AppleCare and they asked me to reset PRAM (no fix) and then SMC. SMC fixed it for a while, but now the problem is back.

I think it's somehow driver / software related because SMC reset fixed it for a while.

Is anyone else seeing this?

2. BobusesApple macrumors newbie

Also have this problem...

Hi,

I also have this problem. Especially when the backlit keyboard is on a dull setting I notice a lot of flicker. Either I have to turn it up or turn it off. I've also tried disabling the auto detect setting to no avail.

I've just installed a firmware update Version 1.3. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

Cheers

3. parsnip macrumors newbie

Me Too

I have had my 13" late 2013 rMBP for about a week now and just noticed the flickering keyboard issue today (although it may have been happening for longer without me realizing). I too notice more of a flicker when the backlight is on the dimmest setting, although it occurs on all of the settings except the brightest one.

Resetting PRAM and SMC did nothing for me, and I have all of the current updates installed including the Firmware 1.3 update and still no fix.

I will be interested to see if anyone else finds a solution.

4. dreamwiz84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I found a few threads last night on Apple's support forums about this and posted there myself as well. I've been trying to pin down when the problem occurs. Please join the discussion in Apple's forums as well so we could raise some awareness on this issue and hopefully find a resolution. I would also appreciate if you guys can see if the conditions are the same on your mac as on mine when the flicker occurs.

Here's the discussion links:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/23883363
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/23883364

I have narrowed it to only occur under these specific conditions:

PRAM and SMC resets are not helping.

1) Battery power
    2) Keyboard backlight on low setting (1-3)
    3) Screen brightness on low setting (1-5)

Flicker occurs approximately every 5 to 10 seconds.

Keyboard is not flickering if I force the keyboard light using Lab Tick (even if on the lowest setting).

Ambient light sensor seems to be otherwise functioning normally, adjusting keyboard and display brightness. I have the Late 2013 rMBP.

5. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Just wanted to jump in here and say that I'm also seeing this issue as well tonight for the first time. I've had my Late 2013 rMBP since a few days after the model was available for purchase, and I hadn't really used my laptop in the dark until now. It's pretty terrible; I keep noticing the flickering when I type and it's very distracting.

6. ocelot12 macrumors newbie

I also noticed the problem today but the flickering is gone once i switch to win7. So is it a software problem?? Should I cancel my genius bar appointment??