Late 2013 rMBP Freezes upon boot up HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Alag28, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Alag28 macrumors 6502

so basically whats been happening is when i turn on the laptop the apple logo loads and on the main screen within the minute or even seconds the computer completely freezes. The entire computer is unresponsive, however if i leave the computer alone and the screen dims..if i touch the touchpad the full brightness comes back on. i took the computer to the genius bar and they also can't seem to pin point the problem. it would freeze in their triage diagnostic utility sometimes and when it does go thru...the machine checks out fine with a green check mark on each aspect of the computer, it would freeze in the full hard drive diagnostic utility and a hard reboot is required. i restored my entire machine, migrated my data over and still the freezing persists. before, the computer would freeze during the apple white bar loading screen 1/4 of the bar full and BOOM frozen. after i did a restore...the above problem is now occurring. the genius took "her" best educated guess and she says its a fault ssd slate. does this sound like a faulty ssd? I'm out of warranty and the flat repair rate is $475.... I've had the logic board completely replaced under warranty a year ago due to a my screen not waking up after hitting the keys or moving the track pad. i have the latest OS....shine some light on my matter guys.

2. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502

The best way to diagnose if the issue is the SSD is to boot to another external drive.

If you can boot and run reliability from an external drive, then odds are the SSD is the issue. If, OTOH, you see the same symptoms booted to another drive....then the internal drive is likely NOT the issue.

Apple uses a network boot tool last I checked, so if it did not hang or misbehave during the diagnosis, then it could be indeed be your SSD.

If you have an external USB or TB drive, you could install a fresh OS on it, and boot to it and run that way for a much longer period to test for intermittent problems. You can run it that way until you are ready to repair it.

If the SSD is bad, you can swap it your self, and upgrade to larger capacity or save $.

3. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

i have
    i have my external drive with my complete backup on it....can i use that to try out this test?

4. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502

Depends.

If you have bootable clone, from say CCC or SuperDuper: yes.

If you have a TM backup, it's not bootable. You could—assuming you have enough free space—partition your external drive, and keep TM on most of it, and create a bootable partition (only need about 20GB of space for a basic OS install) to install a fresh test OS on.

Heck you can even boot to USB flash drive. A 16GB would work, but a 32 would give you more breathing room. Won't be fast....but the goal is to test stability, not speed.

5. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

hobo's reply #4 above is the reason why I always ALWAYS ALWAYS recommend that folks use CCC (or SuperDuper) instead of Time Machine.

With CCC you have a cloned BOOTABLE backup that is an EXACT COPY of your internal drive (all shouting intentional).

If for any reason you can't boot from the internal drive, just connect the backup and try from that.
    In most cases, you'll be back up-and-running in about two minutes...

7. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

what if safe mode works fine...? what does that presume?

8. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

9. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502

Yes, check the Apple info. In a nutshell:

If the problem does not exist Safe Mode, you have a software problem, most likely a third party driver or extension.

If the problem still exists in Safe Mode, either there is an OS issue and a reinstall should correct it.....or there is a hardware issue, such as a failing SSD....or something else (RAM, logic board, etc.)

10. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

in safe mode the freezing does not occur at all... but ive restored my computer twice and it hasnt solved my problem...im confused

11. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote:
    "in safe mode the freezing does not occur at all... but ive restored my computer twice and it hasnt solved my problem...im confused"

When you boot into safe mode, you are booting with ONLY Apple's extension set loaded up.
    NO user-installed extensions or modifications are running.

Even though you have "restored" twice, you are probably "restoring" the same problems that you had earlier.

These would seem to be located in one or more pieces of software that you have added on (not part of Apple's factory-installed OS).

You have to track down what it is that is causing the problems.

Here's something else you can try. It's easy to do and "costs you nothing".
    If it doesn't work, just delete it.

Do this:
    1. Go to the "Users & Groups" preference pane (System Preferences)
    2. Click the lock icon at the bottom
    3. Enter your administrative password
    4. Next, click the "+" sign above the lock icon, to create a NEW account.
    5. At the top of the dialog, MAKE SURE you choose "Administrator" from the popup.
    6. Give the account any name and password you wish, but WRITE IT DOWN so you won't forget.
    7. When done, click the "Create User" button at the bottom.

Now you have a "new, fresh & clean" account for testing purposes.

What to do next:
    1. Assuming you are logged into your regular account, click the "login options" (home icon)
    2. In the upper right, set "automatic login" to OFF (for the moment)
    3. Now, close System Preferences and SHUT THE MAC DOWN (all the way off).
    4. Next, restart the Mac.
    5. When you get to the login screen, login to your NEW account.
    6. Set it up, but DO NOT install ANY non-Apple software
    7. Now, try using this account a little. Browse around in Safari.

Is the MacBook still "unresponsive" as it was before?
    Or... are things different?

Try what I've posted above.
    It's not difficult.
    Once you're done experimenting with the "test account", you can just delete it.
    But if you find things run much better in the new, test account than they did in your regular account, this (again) points to software that you've installed as the source of the problems.

You can try adding things into the test account, one-at-a-time, to check to see if each addition is the source of the problem.
    Can take a little time, but going through this may be necessary to diagnose and fix the problems you're having.

12. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

L
    thanks for this write up fishrrman,

so i have followed the steps that uve outline but the problem still persists... the link that ive provided shows two pictures that i took. the first one is the loading bar and it got stuck right in that position...and if im lucky...the bar will finish loading bring me to the screen to choose a user and BOOM it froze right there. it seems like it will FREEZE regardless at any point...and it happens almost right away.. with the exception of safe mode.

https://imgur.com/a/4KafC

13. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

and just now, i backed up my photo library, few word documents phsycially onto a flash drive, erased the entire SSD, reinstalled Sierra, and during the first main screen to pick a language.. froze again completely...this is just too weird. could it be hardware?

14. Fishrrman macrumors G4

What kind of Mac do you have?
    When was it made?
    I looked quickly above and couldn't find this information.

15. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Check the thread title. :)

16. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"Check the thread title."

Haha, I read all the way up except for that!

OP:
    If repeated attempts to use Sierra aren't working, maybe you ought to give El Capitan a try...

17. hobowankenobi, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016

hobowankenobi macrumors 6502

Need a clean OS install to verify it is not hardware. A restore won't do that; typically it drives a new OS under your previous install.

As mentioned, erasing your internal drive (after a full data backup!) and a performing a fresh install is the only way to see if it is truly a software issue. Or....you can do the external drive with a fresh install as I originally suggested. The external OS tests two things:

• Booting to external hardware removes the internal drive
    • Booting to a fresh OS on external remove the existing OS/installed/configured software

A clean install to your internal drive only does the second test.

18. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats exactly what i did... i first went into disk utility.. erased the entire ssd... quit disk utility and choose "reinstall os" (sierra).. i might give captain a shot... who knows

19. Fishrrman macrumors G4

As I said above, consider "going back" to El Capitan...

20. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup gonna try that tonight

21. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502

OK, thanks for clarifying. Good to know.

Often when Restore is used, that first step is skipped, so, as mentioned, software problems also get "restored"

Outside chance that a different OS will work, but no harm in trying. If the problem returns with 10.11, then I think you are down to trying an external drive to take the SSD out of the loop.

22. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

And of course with my beautiful luck... the problem continues in capitan. Ughhhh.... now that leaves me with booting off an external drive like u mentioned. Can i simply Carbon copy this capitan i just installed but in safe mode...? Im pretty sure u can but making sure.

23. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I'm thinking that you have some kind of hardware problem that can't be resolved with software fixes.

Here's what I'd try next:
    Can you boot El Capitan into safe mode (hold down shift key at boot) as well?
    Does it still work then? Can you still do things like open Safari, browse, read mail?

Can you boot the computer from an EXTERNAL drive (usb)?
    Does it boot and run normally that way (in your REGULAR account)?

24. Alag28, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016

Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes safe mode works flawlessly on both capitan and sierra. i can do everything with no problem. i havent tried booting from a usb yet...thats my next assignment. can i simply carbon copy this clean install of capitan in safe mode onto the usb drive?

Update - so i just cloned my internal sdd onto the usb flash drive....i restarted the mac, held down option to choose start up disk and i dont see it on the screen. now this is the same usb flash drive that has capitan on...but since i had so much space left on the usb (32gb version) i went ahead and cloned it. was i suppsoe to completely wipe the usb clean so no capitan installer on it? i used CCC

2nd update - i simply restarted the mb once more and now the capitan installer dosent show up and now i get EFI boot ...so im guessing that is my clone that i created using CCC onto the usb drive... when i go ahead and boot in the EFI boot i get a combination of FREEZING 3/4 into the white bar loading screen..and booting normally to the user selection screen...from there FROZEN instantly....(sheesh what a headache) again everything works fine in safe mode but my reg account is FUBAR and freezes using all these methods...what does this new information tell us now?

25. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502

Hmm...could be:

Something not right with the OS clone
    Boot problem with the USB drive

I would next:

Do a clean install on a freshly formatted external drive. IF your internal SSD is problematic, which you are testing for, then installing to it, and cloning from it could be part of the issue. Only way I can see to rule it out is to get a fresh, known good external boot drive to run.....without any issues (beyond being much slower performance than your internal SSD).