Late 2013 rMBP to Late 2016 nTB rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nick521, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Nick521 macrumors member

I currently have a late 2013 rMBP 2.6 GHZ i5. Will I notice any difference performance wise and/or battery wise with the late 2016 nTB? Should I upgrade the processor to i7?

My usage is basically internet, MS Office, basic Apple apps. No editing, etc.

Thanks!

2. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

It's a decent upgrade; speakers, P3 screen and fast SSD. You don't need the processor upgrade for your use case.

If you wish to upgrade, consider SSD>RAM first.

3. Nick521 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Do you think the battery life would be better? Also, would I notice any difference between 8 or 16 gigs of ram?

4. Nick521 thread starter macrumors member

5. fs454 macrumors 68000

It'll be comparable in terms of battery life - maybe a bit better since the battery is fresh and your outgoing model is probably hovering around 75-80% health if you use the battery regularly. If you're upgrading, definitely get the 16GB model. You may not notice a difference outright unless you're doing some heavy multitasking, but it's something you will want to have in your pocket over the next three years for sure - and especially when it comes time to sell it long down the road.

To be honest, if your current machine is snappy and still feeling fresh, you can get great performance out of it for the next year or two. The display will be noticeably better in terms of brightness, colors, and contrast, but everything else will likely feel similar to your current model. The new models are considerably lighter, built even better, and as a fan of design I think the feel of the notebook is just as important as the specs, so if you're looking for a fresh notebook with a huge trackpad, tight new keyboard, and bleeding edge manufacturing it's gonna make you happy. If that's minor to you, hold on for another year and re-evaluate.

6. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

7. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

Don't listen to that...the new MBP is a huge upgrade from what you currently have.

8. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Lol. And what are these "huge" improvements?

9. Nick521 thread starter macrumors member

Wow! Thanks so much for your in-depth comparison.