Late 2013 rMBP Trackpad Loose

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nr123*123, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

Well, following on from my previous thread [http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1753482] it seems the bottom plate replacement has caused more problems.

The trackpad now clicks on the left hand side as if it is loose. In addition, the bottom plate feels completely malleable. The original plate was not like this. I'm quite fed up with this. It still needs a logic board replacement due to a manufacturing fault on one of the fans. They cannot guarantee a new part; which I think is unreasonable, as it was not refurbished 6 months ago when I bought it and there is a reason refurbished laptops are cheaper.

On top of this, to get the WiFi to work it needs turning on and off every now and then.

Does anyone know what is causing this 'clicking' on the trackpad. I think it is linked to the ***** bottom plate.

I can't seem to upload a video.

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

There's an internal adjustment on the trackpad mounting screws. It's likely that if your bottom plate was bad for some reason, that the trackpad may have needed a reseat, or that some parts that were not quite in mechanical alignment because of the bottom plate that was replaced. Apple would not necessarily notice that, until you take it back in and show them, as it is likely just coincidental to your other repair, or maybe just an issue that you did not notice before your repair.
    I think it's a relatively simply adjustment that Apple may be able to take care of while you wait. You'd have to ask them about that when you take it in.

3. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Note: You may want to save this post for a bathroom break...

The overall impression I'm left with is that the Apple Store you're visiting is... just terrible.

To address your question specifically: the battery is glued to the unibody shell, across the trackpad and palm rests. If it's not properly glued, or some of the glue has come loose in spots, the palm rest areas of the shell will flex up and down away from the edges of the trackpad--often when the computer/battery heats up or the room temperature changes, as was the case with mine--creating a very slight gap between the trackpad and shell... which in turn makes that obnoxious ticking sound when you tap it in certain areas. It's also possible that some of these aluminum shells are more flexible than others, but I suspect that horrible battery glue to be the primary culprit.

Comparing your experience to mine (I had exactly the same problem):

I took it into my local Apple Store and didn't have to argue at all. The Genius told me it would involve a relatively major fix for such a relatively minor issue--i.e. replacing the entire unibody housing (including the trackpad, battery, and keyboard), but that they take fit and finish seriously and would definitely do it for me.

So they did. And the trackpad is now completely 'tick-free', hallelujah.

In the process though, one of my USB jacks stopped working. The techs tried three different things to fix it. Unfortunately, none of them worked. It was admittedly a pain having to visit the store so many times, but no one gave me attitude about it, and I was always cordial in return even if I was a bit frustrated by the end of it.

As a resolution, they offered to order me a brand new machine (since mine was a BTO model). My MBP is still usable in spite of the broken USB jack, so I asked to delay the replacement for a couple of months since I'll be away for a while, and they agreed.

So I'm now keeping my fingers crossed that the MBP refresh happens in September so that I can get a (slightly) updated new machine for my trouble. :cool: But barring that, I'll basically be getting almost a whole extra year of AppleCare for free, which is still pretty fair.

TL;DR - The level of service/support you've been getting strikes me as night and day with my own experiences. The Geniuses I've dealt with completely owned up to and compensated me for any mistakes/hassles/etc., no whining, yelling, or pleading required.

This should be par for the course for owning an Apple product, IMO.

4. Nr123*123 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's quite funny, lol.

Thanks for your explanation. The fault is intermittent but I have recorded.

I have just spoken to the Apple store and the manager has agreed to order a brand new replacement. Success. On top of that, I am using my old machine until the new one arrives in a few days.

I wish I could wait for the refresh, but I think it would be wrong of me to ask them to wait until you release the new one. Plus I have much work to do.

5. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Glad to hear it. It's definitely a fine line between exercising your rights as a consumer and being a self-entitled jerk about them, I agree. (For $2500+, I think a small amount of entitlement is only fair...)

But I'll say this: as reassuring as it is that Apple are willing to replace less-than-perfect machines with brand new ones, I find it worrisome that these computers are so impossible to repair that they are having to replace an entire machine just to, for example, fix a broken USB port. That's pretty crazy.

Anyway, from a buyer's perspective, the rule is simple: BUY APPLECARE!! :apple:

6. Nr123*123 thread starter macrumors 6502

You're quite right. Though, I wonder if will get the £60 back to school promo :D

To be frank, I won't even feel it is a new Mac when I time machine my backup on to it.

But again, the Apple customer service has come up trumps; even there are a few bad apples in the bunch (pun intended).