Late 2013 SSD replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steve1960, Apr 26, 2015.

1. steve1960 macrumors member

I read a thread a while back where the discussion was about buying SSD's on the open market for 2013 and later Mac's but I can't find it now.

I just wanted to share that I purchased a 1TB drive on eBay. Bought it from Korea the home of Samsung. 5 minutes to swap out the old for new in my late 2013 rMPB and it booted fine directly into the setup screen to set language. No issues at all after a month of use.

The 512GB out of the rMBP made it's way into my wife's mid 2013 11 inch Mac Air as she was struggling for space for photographs and video. The 256GB out of her machine will go into an OWC USB3 case to use for storage / backup.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Would you care to provide a link to the auction (interested in seeing pics of the item), and could you possibly provide a product ID number?

Would make it MUCH easier for other folks trying to walk the path that you have already traveled ...

3. ooans, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015

ooans macrumors 6502

Could you post BlackMagic Disk Speed Test results? Thanks!

And I thought OWC doesn't sell USB enclosures for 2013 or newer Apple SSDs due to them using a proprietary PCI-E connection. They don't even sell SSDs for the newer laptops due to the same reason.

4. steve1960 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't try Black Magic but will do so and post results soon. I can confirm OWC does sell a USB 3 enclosure for the later Apple SSD's I have one and it works just fine but you are correct they do not offer an alternative SSD yet due to the proprietary PCI-E connection.

5. ooans macrumors 6502

It seems you're correct: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENPRPCI/

This is good info to have. Thanks!

However, the USB 3.0 connection slows down the speed a bit, but not only a bit.

6. steve1960 thread starter macrumors member

Hell of a lot of results from Black Magic base don multiple perameters which interest you?

----------

Yes useful as a backup drive if you don't want to sell the old PCI-E drive but maybe better to sell it to someone in desperate need of more space although they are probably upgrading from 256GB to something bigger which is why I might keep my 256GB drive as some kind of backup.

7. ooans macrumors 6502

Usually people just post a screenshot of the program with the end results, but I guess basically the app just gives an answer for the sequential read/write speeds of the drive, which are the numbers inside the big dials :)

8. steve1960 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I am not well versed in posting screen shots!

929MB/s write and 879MB/s read

9. ooans macrumors 6502

Thanks!

10. steve1960 thread starter macrumors member

Nothing significant here and not even apples for apples comparison but might be useful to someone as I had the opportunity to test. All using Blackmagic.

The above results for the 1TB original Samsung SDD used a rMBP late 2013, 2.3Ghz i7 quad core processor, 16GB RAM.

Other results:

512GB original Samsung SSD used a mid 2013 MBA, 1.7Ghz i7 dual core processor, 8GB RAM read 708 MB/s write 717 MB/s

480GB OWC SSD used a mid 2012 MBA 1.7Ghz i5 dual core processor, 4GB RAM read 320 MB/s write 501 MB/s

240GB OWC SSD used the same MBA as above read 225 MB/s write 474 MB/s