Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phospholipid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I'm working with a late-2015 27" iMac with a 4.0 processor and 16 G of RAM.

The user bought this machine with the 256 flash option. The only drive in this machine is the 256 G flash drive. I know these machines are outfitted to also carry a platter drive, either on its own or as a "Fusion Drive". I am familiar with how these machines are put together in general, so I don't need a take-apart guide. I need some very specific information about this specific configuration.

This machine has a 256 flash drive down behind the logic board. That would mean the space where the hard drives goes is unoccupied. I am aware that they don't have different logic boards for different configurations. That means the logic board in this machine is ready to receive a second drive. So, here is my question:

Is everything else there for me to put a drive in place? What I'm really asking is: is the drive connector cable there? I'm assuming I can buy the housing rails. But, that connector cable, is it there? Or do I need to order that as well? I am pretty sure that is Part Number: 923-00664. But I don't want to order it if it's already there. Moreover, I may not even proceed if I discover that it's not already there. Because if it's not already there, that means a complete disassembly and that's not going to be fun.

Any insights, especially from folks who have done this before, are welcome.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
Good question and I can't answer you.

Did you consider simply adding an external drive instead? It would be a lot easier and can be hidden neatly in the back of the iMac.

Reactions: phospholipid

phospholipid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Good question and I can't answer you.

Did you consider simply adding an external drive instead? It would be a lot easier and can be hidden neatly in the back of the iMac.

That's what I told her! But she's like, nah... I want it on the inside.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gian8989

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
This is what i found:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+Retina+5K+Display+Hard+Drive+Replacement/30522

"I have some good news everyone. i have the late 2015 imac that was purchased ONLY with a 512 SSD WITHOUT fusion drive. i was also wondering the same thing and i can happily report that the new late 2015 iMACs DO HAVE THE BRACKETS IN PLACE. the more challenging piece was to find the custom SATA cable. i was finally able to get one used from powerbookmedic. the apple part number you need is 923-00092. another challenge was finding the hard drive mounting pins that go into the hard drive. After all however i installed a 5tb drive and i am waiting for my thermal sensor to reduce fan speeds. this is great news since i've been trying to find an answer for this myself FOR MONTHS!!"

phospholipid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
So, the good news there is that I can do it. That much I had figured already. The bad news, it seems, is that I do in fact need to install the SATA cable, which means literally taking every single component out of this iMac, which means all the risk associated with that. Ugh...

Thank you all for your research and input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.