(Late 2015) Any way to lower minimum fan speed?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by johannnn, Jun 9, 2017.

1. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

It seems the minimum fan speed is 1200 rpm.
    My cpu normally hovers around ~35°C which is very cool.
    However, I often work in a silent environment and can always hear the fan (I have been spoiled after a year with the MB12).
    I have tried fan apps (Mac Fan Control and iStat Menus) and they are able to increase the fan speed.
    But is there any solution to lower the minimum speed? I would be more happy to slightly decrease the minimum speed and still hover at ≤50°C.

2. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

1200rpm could well be the minimum and if so, nothing will change that shoret of removing the fan.

3. johannnn thread starter macrumors 65816

johannnn

Oh damn didn't know fans had a hard wired minimum speed. Little bit surprised that the "ambient fan noise" from the iMac is so much loader than all other computers they sell.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Possible that your fan has some mechanical problem, and is noisier than it should be.
    You could talk to AppleCare about replacing the fan.
    That could be the difference... But, there's also the risk that you would end up with a fan worse than what you have now.

5. johannnn thread starter macrumors 65816

johannnn

Thanks for the response. I'll try to listen on some other iMacs first. I have AppleCare for the iMac, but damn a 27" iMac is not easy to move.

6. Andreas222 macrumors newbie

I had fan trouble on my 2015 iMac. It had a slight clicking fan noise. Not load, but I could hear it for sure. Apple replaced it with a new one that I have to stick my head behind, as one does, to hear. I can't hear this one at all while using it and the fan is almost always at 1200 even under load. It's fantastic!