Late 2015 Fully Loaded 5k iMac or Mac Pro

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mashinhead, Oct 15, 2015.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I was considering one or the other, I wanted to know what people would suggest. I'm a power, graphics user.

2. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

What software do you use? What do you want to use your Mac for? A 'graphics user' doesn't say a lot.

- If you plan on using apps that require good performance and a good screen is your priority, go for iMac 5K
    - If the apps you use benefit more from single-core performance, go for iMac 5K
    - If screen is not important (or you already have a good monitor) as multi-core performance (video encoding, rendering), go for Mac Pro

3. 3587 macrumors 6502a

iMac can do almost anything the Mac Pro can... Mac Pro doesn't have a 5K display. BONUS!

4. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Consider both. Use the Mac Pro for hardcore tasks and remote connect to it from that gorgeous 27" iMac display when you need to take advantage of all that intense horsepower.

5. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I don't know what you mean by a power, graphics user. However I would go for the 5k iMac. Most of the photo apps these days either rely on single core cpu or graphics card. There really aren't many apps except for video production that can really take advantage of the all the cores that the Mac Pro provides.

I have a new Mac Pro and wish I had a 5K iMac instead. I am a somewhat heavy photoshop user (on avg photos with 10+ layers, multiple channels for luminosity masks) and my buddies 1st gen 5k iMac gets about the same performance that I do.

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Just curious, what are the specs of the 5k iMac and your Mac Pro?

7. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Pro Graphics user means just that. I use the Adobe Suite on a daily basis. Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Illustrator. I'm a professional high end software user. Now I'm sure this will handle graphics fine. I suppose my concern is video. I'm by no means a hardcore editor or 4k video user, but I do some editing. And I plan to work more of this into my workflow in the future, so I would like, whatever I get to handle that well.

8. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

From what you've said so far, It doesn't sound like you need a mac pro.

9. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

10. AppleDroid macrumors 6502a

At this point the MacPro is severely outdated. One of my big reasons for getting the base model nMP a year ago was that I use a wide gamut display so buying an iMac and having to have another huge non-5K monitor attached seemed like a waste. Now that the 2015 model supports close to 100% aRGB for pro work it's near perfect unless you need more than 4 cores for serious video encoding or 3D.

I'm waiting for more reviews and issue reports but I'm seriously considering selling my nMP (they are fetching a decent price used still) and picking up a maxed out iMac. Probably silly but now I want that screen. Fingers crossed it doesn't have the same heat issues as the previous model with the x295 upgraded gpu.

11. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

Sustained thermal load....that should be the basis of your decision. If you're gonna peg the CPU/GPU wide open for many hours a day, go Mac Pro. Heat kills and I've personally killed an iMac after 4 years of hard use. I think iMacs are a great bargain if you just plan to use them where you only peg the processors an hour per day versus my pegging them 4-6 hours per day.

The iMac will throttle itself to keep from shutting down but thermal damage is cumulative so it adds up over time.