Late 2015 iMac 5K, Kernel Panic (RAM?)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Agee05, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Agee05 macrumors newbie

Hey guys! Long time creeper of information, but first time poster. I'll start with some background information so my problem makes a bit more sense.

Bought the iMac in June and installed a 4x8GB Kit from CanadaRAM (Hyper HX318LS11... etc etc) and went to town. Came home from a work trip and installed Sierra right away. Tried a Handbrake conversion (something that worked pre-Sierra) and the machine shut off. System shut down because of a problem, kernel panic. Long story short, after support calls, recovery modes, NVRAM resets, replacing Handbrake with a different app... issue still persisted whenever converting anything. Apple support was convinced Handbrake was the problem, but other apps did it as well. Right now video converting is, I guess, the only process I'm doing that's using any amount of RAM.

So I swapped back in the RAM that came with the iMac, 2x4GB. Using an app I got from the App Store (one that also caused the kernel panic) right now as I type this and all is well.

I haven't contacted anyone regarding the RAM because I don't know for sure that's the problem, but it seems like it is. I did a search and many others were using similar RAM (albeit the HX321 rather than the HX318 I have).

Is it safe to assume that's my problem? I haven't looked into warranty but even if they replace one or more sticks, should I switch to something else? I was gone from mid-July to early-October so it has very little use.

Appreciate any opinions you guys have!

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I recommend running the Apple Hardware Test with the RAM upgrade installed. I was also experiencing instability/kernel panics on my 5K iMac, and one of the RAM pairs I installed (HyperX 2133 MHz 2x8 GB) did indeed fail the test.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"I haven't contacted anyone regarding the RAM because I don't know for sure that's the problem, but it seems like it is. I did a search and many others were using similar RAM (albeit the HX321 rather than the HX318 I have).

Is it safe to assume that's my problem?"

Answer:
    Yes.

4. Agee05 thread starter macrumors newbie

By holding "D" on startup? I tried that as well, no issues. Under About This Mac it also showed 32GB.

:D Thanks! Kingston lists the 318 for the machine, I'll try a different brand I think.