Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueeggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Out of curiosity I tried to boot my late 2015 5k iMac into diagnostic mode by holding down the d key on boot up but all i get is a black screen with a solid cursor on the screen. Does this sound like it may be an issue. Could someone with a late 2015 iMac 5k please try this and see if there machine goes into diagnosis mode.

Thanks in advance.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Try again. be sure that nothing else is connected to your iMac, other than the mouse and keyboard.

How long did you wait? Should go into the diagnostics pretty quickly, but might take a couple of minutes on some Macs.

blueeggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Try again. be sure that nothing else is connected to your iMac, other than the mouse and keyboard.

How long did you wait? Should go into the diagnostics pretty quickly, but might take a couple of minutes on some Macs.
I let it set there for 5 minutes and nothing happened. Also i have nothing extra plugged into the iMac.

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 267

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Another extra (?)
Do you mean that you have a second keyboard plugged in? Just use one keyboard for this.

What's that strange white dot on your screen? camera flash?

blueeggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Another extra (?)
Do you mean that you have a second keyboard plugged in? Just use one keyboard for this.

What's that strange white dot on your screen? camera flash?
sorry, nothing plugged into the iMac but the power cord. That white do up close looks like an oversized cursor.
It just sits there like that until I power it off and reboot normally.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I don't know what your issue may be.
You should be able to boot to the diagnostics.
That cursor looks odd.

Try booting with Option-Command-D
You will need an internet connection to connect to Apple's servers. Plug in your ethernet. If you connect through wireless, that should work, too.)

That will take longer to boot through Apple's servers. Give it ten minutes.
If you still get nothing - Talk to AppleCare.

blueeggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Than
I don't know what your issue may be.
You should be able to boot to the diagnostics.
That cursor looks odd.

Try booting with Option-Command-D
You will need an internet connection to connect to Apple's servers. Plug in your ethernet. If you connect through wireless, that should work, too.)

That will take longer to boot through Apple's servers. Give it ten minutes.
If you still get nothing - Talk to AppleCare.
Thanks, I will try that. I still have until the 13th of this month to return it.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Try Command-d, then Option-d
One of those should go to the servers. (you should see the spinning globe for a few seconds, I think)
You can also connect to Internet Recovery, which WILL be Option-Command-R
That boot WILL show you the spinning globe. Then a menu screen allowing to to use Safari, or Disk Utility, some others. It's a remote connection to Apple's servers, and is using nothing on your internal drive. It's what you use to restore your system in the event the internal hard drive needs to be erased, or replaced with a new blank drive.
And, nothing you need to be concerned about yet, if you still can't get there. Talk to Apple then.

Reactions: blueeggs

blueeggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Try Command-d, then Option-d
One of those should go to the servers. (you should see the spinning globe for a few seconds, I think)
You can also connect to Internet Recovery, which WILL be Option-Command-R
That boot WILL show you the spinning globe. Then a menu screen allowing to to use Safari, or Disk Utility, some others. It's a remote connection to Apple's servers, and is using nothing on your internal drive. It's what you use to restore your system in the event the internal hard drive needs to be erased, or replaced with a new blank drive.
And, nothing you need to be concerned about yet, if you still can't get there. Talk to Apple then.
Ok, I got option + d to work over the internet. Test said no issues found. Just found it odd that the d only key did not work like all my other macs will.

Thanks again for your help!

NicolasLGA

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2015
Out of curiosity I tried to boot my late 2015 5k iMac into diagnostic mode by holding down the d key on boot up but all i get is a black screen with a solid cursor on the screen. Does this sound like it may be an issue. Could someone with a late 2015 iMac 5k please try this and see if there machine goes into diagnosis mode.

Thanks in advance.

My late 2015 5k iMac does this too... I thought it was because I reinstalled El Cap. Anyways, seems you're not alone!

Reactions: blueeggs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.