Late 2016 MacBook Pro not booting fromternal driveThis

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GajieP, Dec 6, 2016.

1. GajieP macrumors newbie

IMG_0778.JPG Hi everyone. I just recently got one of the new 2016 13" MacbookPros NTB. I was trying to boot up an external USB 3 drive with Sierra on it and it does not work. I am getting a symbol on my screen for a few seconds and then it just shuts down. I am attaching a pic of the screen. Apologies that it is not that clear. This is happening when I try to boot from one of the USB C ports directly and via USB A with the Apple multi port adapter. I never had this problem when I booted this drive from my MacBook Air. Has anyone seen this before and is this normal?

2. GajieP thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Shd0w4lkr40 macrumors newbie

Shd0w4lkr40

I would boot into recovery (Command+R) and re-install Sierra on the external. Perhaps more info would help diagnose.

4. GajieP thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much Shd0w4lkr40. That worked. The version of Sierra I had on the external drive was the initial release and was too old to boot on to the new MacBook Pro's. I really appreciate your kind assistance. Thanks again.

5. DarthBradicus macrumors member

I was just going to mention that. Any given Mac cannot run a version of the operating system older than the one it originally came with. The device-specific drivers, etc. are not in it.

6. Shd0w4lkr40 macrumors newbie

Shd0w4lkr40

Anytime my friend...I have dealt with similar issues a few times as well with GNU/Linux distros after upgrading hardware. It's definitely frustrating, but I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue. I am going to pick up an external SSD +USB 3 enclosure this weekend and do the same for a dedicated Sierra dev. environment so knowing you've had success is encouraging! Any major issues thus far?

7. GajieP thread starter macrumors newbie

No major issues so far. All is well. Again appreciate your assistance.