Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Just got my brand new Macbook Pro (It's a late '16) and unpacked it. Started to read the docs, which said it should start automatically upon opening the cover. It did not and does not start, nor does pressing the power button work. Charger was plugged in and there was no indication of charging. Any thoughts appreciated.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Just got my brand new Macbook Pro (It's a late '16) and unpacked it. Started to read the docs, which said it should start automatically upon opening the cover. It did not and does not start, nor does pressing the power button work. Charger was plugged in and there was no indication of charging. Any thoughts appreciated.

DOA. Take it back to wherever you bought it and exchange it. Easy peasy...unless of course you bought it from a non-authorized Apple reseller. If that's the case, I would get on my knees and pray to the Big Guy up in the sky!

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
DOA. Take it back to wherever you bought it and exchange it. Easy peasy...unless of course you bought it from a non-authorized Apple reseller. If that's the case, I would get on my knees and pray to the Big Guy up in the sky!

Thanks for reply. It was an authorized dealer (BH) so that base is covered.
[doublepost=1505584858][/doublepost]
Take it back to the Apple Store/wherever you bought it from. They'll get you a new one.

Thanks for reply. Turned out the battery was completely depleted, which is unusual. I mean dead as a doornail. After charging for around 30 mins still appeared dead. After I removed charger and re-boxed I decided to try again and it did start, with 21% battery charge. Should I be concerned about the battery, which is now charging?

Last edited:

Ashton Cofer

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks for reply. It was an authorized dealer (BH) so that base is covered.
[doublepost=1505584858][/doublepost]

Thanks for reply. Turned out the battery was completely depleted, which is unusual. I mean dead as a doornail. After charging for around 30 mins still appeared dead. After I removed charger and re-boxed I decided to try again and it did start, with 21% battery charge. Should I be concerned about the battery, which is now charging?

I wouldn't be too concerned about the battery. Most likely, the 2016 MacBook Pro has been sitting on shelves or in stores for a while (since it's a an older version) so it's not uncommon for the battery to have drained. However, I'd keep a close eye on the battery over the next few days and take it back to the store if you have any issues.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Potentially, yes. Lithium batteries do not like being stored full, and they do not like being stored empty. Improper storage can potentially impact their longevity - presumably, Apple batteries have built in protection circuits designed to try to avoid such a scenario, where a protection circuit can cut off power-on ability below a set voltage (but above the threshold voltage where the battery goes into a sleep mode that a standard charger is unable to awaken it from.) If that is the case, the likely reason it took so long for the system to power on could be that, even though it was charging, its voltage was still below the minimum voltage required to allow a power-on.

Is the battery running well? By that, I mean what kind of run times are you getting?
Are you going to get AC+ on this system?

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Potentially, yes. Lithium batteries do not like being stored full, and they do not like being stored empty. Improper storage can potentially impact their longevity - presumably, Apple batteries have built in protection circuits designed to try to avoid such a scenario, where a protection circuit can cut off power-on ability below a set voltage (but above the threshold voltage where the battery goes into a sleep mode that a standard charger is unable to awaken it from.) If that is the case, the likely reason it took so long for the system to power on could be that, even though it was charging, its voltage was still below the minimum voltage required to allow a power-on.

Is the battery running well? By that, I mean what kind of run times are you getting?
Are you going to get AC+ on this system?

Thanks for reply. I don't know how it's going to perform as I have not used it yet. It did take a charge and before taking the charger off it was 99% charged. Will see in next few days if it holds and how long it will run. I do have AC+ on it so no worries, I guess. Sounds like the voltage was too low to allow start.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.