Late 2016 MBP: Interesting naming scheme

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brookzy, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

[Nerdy post incoming... prepare to be uninterested unless you're an Apple Kremlinologist like myself (surely Cupertinologist?!) ;)]

Watching the introduction of the new MBPs I was curious what the technical model names would be for each device - especially the base model without Touch Bar.

Traditionally identifying features in the naming structure have been size and year. In 2012 "Retina" was added to distinguish Retina models from non-Retina. Would this now happen with Touch Bar, giving us MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016) and MacBook Pro (13-inch, Touch Bar, Late 2016)?

Well, a support document added today has answered this question. The official model names for the 13-inch are:
    • MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    • MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    So there we have it! "Retina" will likely no longer be part of model names going forward (say goodbye to the non-4K 21.5" iMac at the next refresh!), and this is a real throwback - models have not been differentiated by their ports since 2003-2004 IIRC.

These also break modern precedent in terms of having information after the model year.

And, they must surely be the longest model names Apple has had!

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Oh my, that's rather a mouthful. What would be wrong with MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Touch Bar)?

Also, do we need a new acronym for these; people here tend to use cMBP and rMBP, what will these become? nrMBP?

3. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 601

Brookzy

There must be a reason they didn't use "Touch Bar". Perhaps they don't intend it to permeate the lineup like Retina did? Hmm...

As for the acronym - MBP2T3P or MBP4T3P, natch! ;)