Late 2016 tbMBP - battery loss while on sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wiffle, Apr 27, 2017.

1. wiffle macrumors regular

have noticed this for a little while but it's getting a little ridiculous at this point.... 2.6/512gb/460 refurb that is slowly showing its colors with respect to the issues other have seen.

Battery dropped from 99% to 89% overnight while in sleep mode. None of my previous MBPs would even drop 1% overnight.. I've ensured that Power Nap is not ticked while on battery mode as well.

Any idea what is causing the battery leak?

2. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Something is using your battery while its sleeping. There is a three on here called a fix for this I did it and I only lose about 3% overnight while its sleeping. I'm ok with that.

3. wiffle thread starter macrumors regular

Something to do with terminal commands yeah? I'll take a look and try that. I think it had something to do with recent OS changes in 2015+ machines or something.

Appreciate the reply.

4. Gonza211 macrumors newbie

Same isuee con Base TB 13 Pro. Went to Apple Store (along with other issues) and they told me around 5% per night is normal. Which is not normal if you ask me... but whatever. My old 2013 15" didnt lose any battery on sleep.

5. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Sorry, just curious, why not keep it plugged in?

6. fokmik macrumors 68000

between 1%-3% over night (8-10 hours) its normal now days, but not more. I think 5% per night its too much, it should be half

7. wiffle thread starter macrumors regular

Just a follow up: after following the steps located here: https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...-consumes-10-battery-overnight-with-the-lid-c , I'm no longer experiencing these issues. Overnight loss of 1% as opposed to 10% the night before.

Others with a 15" tbMBP - mind running this command in terminal and seeing what the output is?

ioreg -l | grep IOPlatformFeatureDefaults

I'm curious as to whether or not those who are not experiencing this issue have the default output which is:
    {"TCPKeepAliveDuringSleep"=Yes,"DNDWhileDisplaySleeps"=No,"TCPKeepAliveExpirationTimeout"=43200,"NotificationWake"=Yes}

I've had to change the 'Yes' values for TCPKeepAliveDuringSleep and NotificationWake using those instructions above to 'False' in order to not have my battery drain while in sleep mode..

8. iRabbit, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017

iRabbit macrumors 6502

Wiffle: Thanks for the info.

I had suspected the some of it was related to the Notification Center. For anyone who doesn't want to mess with terminal, you can actually set it in the Notification Settings area. Got to Settings -> Notifications and just check all the boxes (except the one related to scheduling DND unless you want that).

EDIT:
    After making these changes to the Notification Center settings this morning I went out for the day and left my tbMBP unplugged. At the time it was at 98% charge. Just opened it up a little while ago, easily 12 hours later, and it was at 96% charge. Just making those changes to the settings for the Notications seems to have solved most of the problem.