Late bloomer to the external storage topic

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pakupakuman, Nov 27, 2016.

1. pakupakuman, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016

pakupakuman macrumors member

pakupakuman

Hello -

I've searched for threads on the matter, but I think they're not as fresh, since alternative #1 below has been out for a while now.

I've been considering getting an external storage solution, and have read of three alternatives for my Mid-2014 MBPr:
    1. Transcend JetDrive - I've read these may pose some mount/dismount problems when exiting Sleep mode. It's an otherwise adequate one-piece solution, being flush to the side. I don't believe I've read any issues with read-write speeds thus far.
    2. SanDisk USB 3.0 UltraFit Drive. Although it seems to be on the fast side of read-write, I've read many users complain of heat issues leading to slow performance or even failure, so I'll likely ditch this; the good part is (was) that the MBPr has two USB slots.
    3. Get a Micro SD card and a mount such as a Nifty or a BaseQI. Mileage may vary according to the card.

Can someone provide input on their experience, particularly on #1 and #3?

Thanks, regards.

2. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

Are you looking for external storage that's semipermanently attached, or larger external storage that you attach as needed?

3. pakupakuman thread starter macrumors member

pakupakuman

Hello -

The first would be my choice. Something to leave in semipermanently.

4. iizmoo macrumors 6502

I used a PNY StorEdge, similar to the Transcend Jetdrive as an almost flushed SD card in my air since 2013. It worked ok, esp if you're looking for permanently attached scratch drive or a time machine drive. In my experience these flash drives just do not hold up as well for storing a large number of small files, mine developed system corruption a number of times when I was trying to stick in 1.5M small files < 4KB. What they're good at are really for a smaller number of larger files like photos and videos. If you use it to store something like the Photos or iTunes library, should work fine.

I have not noticed sleep problems with mine for a number of years, it was indeed an issue when I first got it in 2013. But I believe over the years there were OSX updates and fixed the problem.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

How about using an Airport Extreme and connecting a large external drive to it, that would work as your own Time Capsule? You would have availability anytime you need it without having to insert or attach drives directly to your Mac.

6. pakupakuman thread starter macrumors member

pakupakuman

Thanks to all for your replies. Let me give it some thought, including the Airport Extreme.

7. TheBacklash, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016

TheBacklash macrumors 6502

TheBacklash

What are you going to use the drive for? I assume not for Time Machine.
    If you go the Airport route with attached HD, remember that it's USB 2.0 and over network. (slow) Time Machine is fine, but needing to access the stuff... you can run into slowdowns. Not unbearably slow, just slow.

I bought a slim 128gb Lexar flash drive that barely sticks out of the MBP for just my music so I'm not cluttering up my SSD and when not at home connected to my external storage.. I can still have my music, will not be using it for anything else. Works great and only sticks out a 1/4", I backup all my music anyway so if it does fail.. I won't lose anything.

So far the flash drive has never heated up like some drives supposedly do. Only went with Lexar cause many reviewers said this one didn't heat up, and it was a replacement for another brand that did.

The mostly flush mount SD drive is still an option for me to grab as well.

Everything I have, is backed up elsewhere. Except my TM drive. (which is on my Airport, thats why I was mentioning it being slower..)

Oh BTW, that Sandisk i think is one of the ones that tends to get hot. Read the reviews on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-JumpDr...id=1480284458&sr=8-3&keywords=lexar+usb+128gb
    This is the Lexar I bought, and YES that LED on the side if super bright... I covered it up and left the blue LED on top, not as bright.