Late iMac 2006 - LCD cleaning dark spots, smudges, dust inside

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ShiryuX, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ShiryuX macrumors member

ShiryuX

Just wanted to revive an old Graveyard discussion about our dear old white iMac machines that were equiped with LCD screens.

As you might know there is a plague of smudges, dust, black spots on the white iMac (other model too of course). The screen is therefore a bit black in the corners and as most of us are keen on keeping it all clean, I am sure I am not the only one trying to have this done and dusted!! :LOL:

A lot of videos are available on the internet but those are mostly showing how to clean an Alu iMac and not a white one (Intel model).

Therefore my question to the forum is:

- have you come across this problem with your iMac?
    - have you found good tutorials to "clean" or get rid of the black spots?

Have to admit I am not a "Mac Guyver" in opening up an iMac but I am sure we have a couple of Dr. Houses in the forum that might give me the insight I am looking for.

I can confirm that the dark spot, smudges are on the inside and that the pixels are still alive as I have a picture but it is just darkened in the corner of my screen (on the bottom left and up left.)

Having done some research on the internet I found similar examples for your info.

Thank you in advance!

ShiryuX

Attached Files:

2. RoastingPig, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

this is bad ive had a imac like yours but i had horizontal stripes replaced out of warranty from apple