Late iMac 2012 / 2012 smashed, fall down from the table. Screen broken & cracked

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Badluck2013, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badluck2013, May 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013

Badluck2013 macrumors newbie

Hi to everyone, new here:

I was in the shower while my 8 year old nephew came home with her mum. She went to my room, saw my brand new iMac on the table, 'tried' to use it grabbing the iMac screen and pulling it down in order for her to see it from her eyes, and......... you can imagine. Pull down too much, iMac smashed on the floor.

My cousin is divorced, has 2 kids and is unemployed... I have the same opportunities of getting the iMac fixed by her, than the ones I have with the Apple Care (none) wich by the way I do own since day 1 (wich was 2 months ago....... 2 months only...)

...yep Am I probably the first person with a late 2012 iMac broken screen? I feel so empty now... Like if they told me I had cancer and 2 years more to live only. It's just "money", yes, but... "what a money!"

How much could it cost to repair?

There is no way Apple Care is going to cover this..... And with the new iMacs you can't replace the glass yourself, since the screen is glued to the glass...

The iMac works fine, no strange noises... even if the screen is really f**cked up.

Edit: Thanks for the replies. I will just keep this one until I have the money to buy a new one :)

2. Apple fanboy, May 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013

Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

House insurance?

3. richard13 macrumors 6502a

OMG! The horror! :(

How old is it? Did you happen to charge it on a credit card? Some cards in the US (don't know about UK) have accidental breakage coverage in the first 30-90 days.

My guess is that this would be very expensive to fix. Searching a bit online I found one place that is charging $900 just for the screen part, let alone doing the actual repair.

If it were me and I didn't have any insurance I would bite the bullet and have Apple do the repair. It will cost you a lot but likely to be much less than a brand new computer.

Good luck to you!

4. Bear macrumors G3

Last year on a 2009 27" iMac, Apple listed the replacement price of $650 plus tax for the display plus glass. This of course is only a guide as the new displays could be more or less expensive.

Also, you don't know if anything else is damaged.

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Sorry to hear of the malady, beside the home owners or other insurance it's going to be expensive. Now that AppleCare is invalidated (big time!!!!) you can ask Apple for a refund on the balance remaining. Just call AppleCare, explain the situation and they should be able to help. If your first rep doesn't know what to do ask the call to be escalated.

6. tanker5 macrumors member

It's actually very easy to repair.... Once you get the parts

You can find the screen on eBay. The bad news is they are expensive. On the 2012 iMacs, the monitor and glass are fused together, so the entire display needs to be replaced. If you search for "2012 iMac Screen", you will see that they are all asking around $375 - $400 for a replacement.

You also need some 3m VFB 4910 tape like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016HGFXW/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The display is attached to the computer with double sided adhesive tape. If you check out the link on ifixit, you can see how to remove it and replace it with the new one. Once the adhesive is removed, there are only 2 cables connecting the display to the rest of the iMac.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2544+Teardown/11936/1

7. Badluck2013 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly my house insurance is the 'cheapest' one. They will only cover a new computer if there is a "overpower?" (electricity)

And I don't think you can fake a "overbaked" computer. Or can you? :rolleyes:

----------

It's 2 months old :(

The thing is, I'm still paying it (1 year payment) and I'm a film student, so that means = no money. I can work in the summer, but I'm in Spain and it's kinda hard to find a job at the moment down here... Even if I do, I hope I could repair it for "less than 500€". I hope so... because right now I'm still saving to pay my next semester..... thats why I had to pay the iMac monthly for a year :(

What are my other options?

Buying a new monitor and having it connected to my "broken" iMac covered in a black blanket? :(

----------

Thank you Bear! But I think Late 2012 models will be even more expensive... Do, somebody said here 511$ (???) https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4766776?start=0&tstart=0 And it is a Late 2012.

He only had a "small scratch" (I have a massive one) but I guess, changing the screen for a big scratch is the same issue as for a small one (?)

----------

What do you mean with AppleCare invalidated? They invalidate your AppleCare if it gets smashed, even if you don't use their warranty for that purpose (the scratch) and just keep it for future problems? Wow... Apple is so strict...

I guess that from now on, every problem I might encounter, they will justify it with "you smashed your screen 1 year ago"..... that's why you are facing this problem dear customer!

8. Badluck2013, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013

Badluck2013 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Arfdog macrumors 6502

Well, now that we've seen that, there really is no hope for repair. But the insurance will pay for a new one so no big deal.

10. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Talk to Apple.

My brother had a MBA that he damaged... and they gave him a one time "flat rate" repair that was less than the normal repair costs.

You'll never know if you don't ask.

/Jim

11. ssdaytona macrumors member

^ agreed. There's no way to replace that except to sell it for parts and use that money to buy a new one.

Logic board - ? $$$ 300
    HD - $50
    Wifi chip
    SSD - $200
    Various cables, fans - ~$100
    CPU - ? $100-200

12. passey macrumors member

thats dead i'm afraid. best bet is house insurance if u can.

On another note. Nephew or niece as u said

I was in the shower while my 8 year old nephew came home with her mum

13. eldho macrumors member

My condolences for your very unfortunate situation.

If you do go down this route then please do not cover your broken iMac with a blanket or else you will have overheating. I would suggest that if possible you hide the broken one behind the new monitor and then you might even be able to pretend that nothing is wrong by focusing on your new monitor. I also suggest some sort of lock on your door so people cannot simply come off the street and ......

All the best

14. mrmarts macrumors 65816

That drop makes the imac seemingly cheaply made, hope all goes well in repairing or getting a new one. might i suggest in future pushing the desk towards a wall to avoid another unexpected tumble.

15. Badluck2013 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the replies. Sadly, my house insurance won't work... Better than asking them, I could call Apple telling them my iMac is overheating like crazy, have the iMac picked up by UPS. And once Apple calls me saying "your iMac screen is broken", be like "Oh those damn UPS pieces of s****, they had to handle the box like gorillas!" :mad:

...But I guess that will not work...

...right?:D

By the other side... Why don't you think it can be repaired? I could some how curl back the aluminium part, make it a bit more flat, maybe with some electrical pliers?

Then buy a new screen, and attach it back?....

You really think it's "dead for sure"?

Thanks a lot for reading and hopefully answering back. Have a nice week!

16. mushroomtip macrumors 6502

upgrade your insurance ,wait a month or 2 ,then make a claim .

17. Fishrrman macrumors G3

That doesn't look fixable. My guess is "total loss", with replacement the only workable option.

If insurance will cover it, or at least _some_ of the replacement cost, that's about the best you can do.

Other options (and I'm serious).
    - Ask your cousin not to bring the kid around any more.
    - DON'T get another iMac (the cousin's kid may pull the next one over, too). Instead, get a Mini with a separate monitor. If the kid destroys the next monitor, well, that's a cheaper fix than an entire new computer!

18. Nuke61 macrumors 6502

Since you've already concluded that Apple and insurance aren't going to work, and your Aunt cannot afford to fix it either, I think the least expensive option you have is to put the iMac on the floor and hook it up to a new monitor. You can get a very good monitor for ~$300 USD.

19. auhagen macrumors regular

You might take it all apart, cut the damaged aluminum off, or try knocking it flat. Aluminum is a soft material, so it should be doable.

When thats said, I will look like *******, when your done doing it. You will have a gab between the screen and the aluminum. I would not take the job, of fixing the aluminum, and I worked in that world. It simply looks too damaged.

It's a shame, but remember it's material damage. But how on earth did she managed to pull it off the table? Sounds like some sort of bad setup you had there, and what about her insurance?

20. THX2008 macrumors newbie

Ouch. Well if Apple Care or the House Insurance won't cover a replacement, I would say follow ssdaytona's advice. Selling off as many of the internal components as possible. At least you'll get some money back that way.

21. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Your best bet is to take it to your local Apple store, tell them the truth, and see what they say.

They may repair it free, they may offer a flat rate repair, they may tell you to pay for it (the repair might not be as much as you expect).

You're probably looking at €120 for the rear housing, and €500 for the display plus a bit of labour. Considering how much the computers cost, it'd be worth it IMO.

For the record, the LCD you need is 661-7169 (€400 on eBay). It's an easy enough repair if you take your time.

The rear housing is not a repair I'd attempt yourself. With some experience, it still takes me a couple of hours, and I rarely get it right first time.

22. CoinOP macrumors member

23. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

take it to Apple. honestly get their opinions as they have the costs/parts etc. worst case scenario you dont leave it for repair...best case they may sympathize and help you out...take it to an Apple retail store and not an authorized service provider.

24. Nuke61, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013

Nuke61 macrumors 6502

But why? The OP said in his first post, "The iMac works fine, no strange noises... even if the screen is really f**cked up." -- that's why I suggested that if Apple and insurance aren't options, just hook up an external monitor.

But I do agree with taking it to an Apple store pleading with them first. I've read many stories where Apple replaced something when they had zero obligation to do so, just because the person was nice, told the truth, and was in need of help. Apparently the Apple store has some number of these "good will" decisions they can make per month/year. Billions in cash affords them the luxury of doing this, unlike PC manufacturers that are typically on razor thin margins.

25. PJM82 macrumors member

PJM82

I agree with the above post.

My wife put my iphone through the wash. I went into the store expecting to pay the standard replacement fee but said what happened and they replaced it. I was in uniform at the time (I'm in the RAF) and the guy started telling me how we did a good job and replaced it for free. Someone else I know went it to get their phone replaced and basically demanded they replace it after he smashed the screen. They told him where to go.

You have nothing to loose. If you can get some tears out that would no doubt help. I don't know how I would respond to someone crying their eyes out in my store but I'd want to find a way to stop it and quickly.

What an awful situation to be in. Good luck whatever you do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.