late imac 2015 wont incur remorse?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by czerney, Sep 8, 2016.

1. czerney macrumors regular

I'm after an iMac 27" for FCPX video editing in 1080p, with 3 camera angles + 3 or 4 audio angles max. Other work is website design / basic graphics / basic music editing maybe 4-6 tracks max.

Is there anything coming in the late 2016 iMac that will have me kicking myself for not waiting performance wise or will the current generation suit me just fine for at least 2-3 years?

I've been getting by doing all this on a macbook 12' (yes I know) but working on a 12' screen feels like keyhole surgery and very keen for an enlarged workspace. Was tempted to just attach a larger screen like a 3440x1440 display but with that single usb-c port it'll affect my ability to attach external usb3 drives and I'm still up against long render times.

2. mullock87 macrumors member

There is a rumoured update to the iMac lineup during October/November, one of the main performance increases will be to the GPU so in your case I would wait.

I'm currently in the same position where I need to buy a iMac, but because I will primarily use the iMac for music production waiting for a new GPU isn't worth the wait for me.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

A new iMac will undoubtedly have better graphics and thunderbolt 3 allowing for a second 5k monitor, probably not important to you now but with 4K growing by the day you'll probably need to be able to work well in that in a year or two. The current generation will be fine of course, and we may not see a new iMac until Kabylake next year.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Most likely a better GPU and thunderbolt 3, perhaps even USB-C

You need to decide whether that's important to you.

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I have no remorse with my 2015 iMac 5K I bought in March even expecting something better coming this Fall. That being said, at this point we're likely within weeks of any refresh to the iMac line so you really should wait.

6. danielwsmithee macrumors 65816

Also likely to see a substantial drop in the price of flash upgrades as we just saw on the iPads. The price of flash memory has gone down a lot over the last year, and that should be reflected in the update, even there is still an Apple premium.

7. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

Just wait, I'm hoping to see a chassis redesign as well actually, it's overdue. And this is coming from someone who has the top line 2015 5K iMac.