Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple seems to be catching up on iPhone 5 pre-orders faster than they had previous estimated. We've received a number of tips that iPhone 5 pre-orders that were originally estimated to be delivered in early October are being shipped now with a delivery date of September 27th.

preorders.jpg

Apple had originally "sold out" of their initial batch of iPhone 5 devices within the first hour of sales and went on to sell 2 million devices in the first 24 hours. iPhone 5 delivery estimates remain at 3-4 weeks out at Apple's online store.

The iPhone 5 retail launch seems to have been relatively smooth, bringing praise from analysts.
"We are positively surprised regarding the pace of the rollout, since we had expected a bigger impact from component constraints," Barclays analyst Ben Reitzes said.
Apple may announce iPhone 5 sales numbers on Monday. Last year, Apple announced 4 million iPhone 4S sales on the opening weekend.

Article Link: 'Late' iPhone 5 Pre-Orders Being Delivered Early

marioguarneros

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
I didn't preorder and I managed to get two from the Apple store in Glasgow. =) there should be lots of stock I guess.

Ieo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I ordered at 2pm central time on the 14th....was originally quoted for the 5th, shipped out today and scheduled for the 28th. 64gb black AT&T.

*Edit*

Also, it's shipping UPS instead of Fedex.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I ordered at 1:30AM Pacific on the 14th and was quoted 5 October. Went to Preparing to Ship as of yesterday and as of today it's on it's way from China with a planned delivery of 27 September.

Frannie

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
NE OH
I ordered at 2pm central time on the 14th....was originally quoted for the 5th, shipped out today and scheduled for the 28th. 64gb black AT&T.

*Edit*

Also, it's shipping UPS instead of Fedex.

My story is identical, except that mine was ordered at 5:30-ish EDT.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
I got the Sep 27 email this morning, and I didn't order until 7:30 PDT on the 14th. Delivery via UPS as well.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
...or else a lot of preorders were cancelled, due to people either being able to get a phone in store on the first day, or changing their minds (maybe as a result of the discussions about scratching?)...

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
I had an order scheduled for Oct21-26 that I cancelled early this morning.

Figured I could find one in a store before then.

Also, with scuff-gate I wanted to see the unit for myself before accepting.

Now just waiting for my ATT upgrade status to refresh itself and I'll go shopping.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Its giving all the signs of hype building - "limited stock" and "first come first serve" were used a lot. However most Apple Stores had PLENTY of stock, and the only reason people couldnt get one in a majority was due to the shop closing.

I tried my local one (Watford, Herts, UK) this morning - there was a queue of people with tickets and I was turned away. Phoned at mid day, they had all models in stock. Went over there about half past 1, picked up a 16gig white. Spoke to the rep there and she said they had about 15 palets of them. Given how small the packaging, there must be at least 1000 of them per pallet.

I spoke to my local 'Three' shop however, and they were estimating October 2nd for pre-orders. Phoned Three's main phoneline and they said October 10th. Yet you can walk into any Apple store today and pick one up. The stupid thing is that in the UK, it works out BETTER to go on contract for the first time ever. Three are doing a plan that works out under £100 more than buying the phone outright and being on a £10/mo contract.

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
catching up

The signals were there they were getting preorders out hour by hour.
So with a 6:00 EDT am order on 14th scheduled for October 5th is now making progress like others.

Since last night "Preparing for Shipment," but expect it will join others soon when it catches a plane.

Probably makes delivery later in the week. An improvement and Apple will likely learn a lot from this supply chain experience. :cool:

Ganesha

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
...or else a lot of preorders were cancelled, due to people either being able to get a phone in store on the first day, or changing their minds (maybe as a result of the discussions about scratching?)...

Or Apple/Foxconn is making it's Chinese factory workers work overtime.

JWY80

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Curious that should be so...

I ordered directly from Apple around 4:45AM EST on Friday, so only an hour or so after the initial batch had sold out. I have received no notification of shipment so far. :confused: Could this be a difference between the Verizon and AT&T phones? Mine is an AT&T model.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
A bunch of online pre-orders will typically be cancelled, as people successfully pick up a phone in a store on launch day rather than wait two more weeks. Others move up the queue. I think that happens on every launch. Not much to report.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Its giving all the signs of hype building - "limited stock" and "first come first serve" were used a lot. However most Apple Stores had PLENTY of stock, and the only reason people couldnt get one in a majority was due to the shop closing.

I tried my local one (Watford, Herts, UK) this morning - there was a queue of people with tickets and I was turned away. Phoned at mid day, they had all models in stock. Went over there about half past 1, picked up a 16gig white. Spoke to the rep there and she said they had about 15 palets of them. Given how small the packaging, there must be at least 1000 of them per pallet.

I spoke to my local 'Three' shop however, and they were estimating October 2nd for pre-orders. Phoned Three's main phoneline and they said October 10th. Yet you can walk into any Apple store today and pick one up. The stupid thing is that in the UK, it works out BETTER to go on contract for the first time ever. Three are doing a plan that works out under £100 more than buying the phone outright and being on a £10/mo contract.

I have to agree. At this point, does anyone actually believe Apple doesn't know that they need MILLIONS in stock ready to ship?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.