Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swim4life9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
IL
im wondering if apple will have a late january/ early febuary event for their desktops saying as they didnt anounce anything about htem today

Hot Snowboarder

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2009
Behind you...!
I know last year this happened when I was waiting to buy a MBP. They silently updated them on a tuesday in February. Fingers crossed the same happens with the Mac Mini this year. I expect they are waiting for iLife '09 to ship so all new macs come with it as standard.

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
When is the next annoucements due? are they on set months every year?

Im waiting on a new iMac! Do you think there will be a new model sometime this year for sure?

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
im wondering if apple will have a late january/ early febuary event for their desktops saying as they didnt anounce anything about htem today

No sooner has MacWorld finished with none of the anticipated announcements and we're already speculating on a revised time frame for announcements.....you've got to love the rumour sites :D:D:D

spcdust

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
We already know that there is a new iMac because of this.

The speculation is that it'll get the updates that the unibody MB's got (faster FSB, DD3 RAM, NVIDIA chipset, etc). They certainly aren't going for a redesign now that the entire lineup finally matches.

Flying Dutchman

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
We already know that there is a new iMac because of this.

The speculation is that it'll get the updates that the unibody MB's got (faster FSB, DD3 RAM, NVIDIA chipset, etc). They certainly aren't going for a redesign now that the entire lineup finally matches.

Agree on that. I do hope though they put in a higher end graphics card, 'caus else we'll go down on performance with the 9600, I think. Unless, multi card use (9400+9600) will be available on the iMac.

Soxy

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008

Considering the next iMac update will probably only be a speedbump, I doubt they'll create an event around it, so the answer is no, it'll just be a silent Tuesday announcement.

If they wait for Nehalem however, there could be an event for sure, but not for a good 6-8 months.

swim4life9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
IL
Considering the next iMac update will probably only be a speedbump, I doubt they'll create an event around it, so the answer is no, it'll just be a silent Tuesday announcement.

If they wait for Nehalem however, there could be an event for sure, but not for a good 6-8 months.

very true... unless they have something else that they will announce... i could see them doing something big with the mac mini because its been sooooooo long

swim4life9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
IL
No sooner has MacWorld finished with none of the anticipated announcements and we're already speculating on a revised time frame for announcements.....you've got to love the rumour sites :D:D:D

spcdust

isnt it so much fun?!?! :D:cool::apple:

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Probably an event for the iMac and Mac mini. Not sure about the Mac Pro, since it's a pro Mac. There's a small chance of Snow Leopard being talked about too.

Maybe new iPod socks too? :D

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
There has got to be a lot of new products coming soon. Just look at the messy lineup with the Cinema Displays - an old 20" model, a new LED backlit 24" model for notebooks only, and a 30" model. Nothing has happened to the Apple TV for a long time, same goes for the Mac Mini. The Mac Pro could be making use of newer processors. There is a whole ton of stuff that to me seems overdue.

But forget all that - as long as we get iLife 09, that's the main thing...

swim4life9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
IL
There has got to be a lot of new products coming soon. Just look at the messy lineup with the Cinema Displays - an old 20" model, a new LED backlit 24" model for notebooks only, and a 30" model. Nothing has happened to the Apple TV for a long time, same goes for the Mac Mini. The Mac Pro could be making use of newer processors. There is a whole ton of stuff that to me seems overdue.

But forget all that - as long as we get iLife 09, that's the main thing...

Ell yaaaa... i mean really? as long as we have kick as software then who cares... its not like we need any hardware to run it on... idk about you but i just start at the dvd, box, and manual... actually use it... ell no... i dont pay $79 for that i pay that kind of money to stair at the pretty box...

hahahahaha:D

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
I have heard from a buddy that works directly at Apple, and a friend at Best Buy the same thing--they will release them closer to tax season.

The event will likely be a dual week of year end financial reporting, and releasing the new Macs. This is my hope too at least.

INBLUT

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2009
What do you guys think the standard configuration on the new iMacs will be?

Will they be much more expensive?

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK

Personally I imagine we'll see an "evolutionary" update of the iMac in the near future with hopefully a "revolutionary" update (Intel Core i7 chip set? etc.) sometime towards the later part of 2009. Of course this is all pure speculation on my part but we can but dream:D.

spcdust

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
Personally I imagine we'll see an "evolutionary" update of the iMac in the near future with hopefully a "revolutionary" update (Intel Core i7 chip set? etc.) sometime towards the later part of 2009. Of course this is all pure speculation on my part but we can but dream:D.

spcdust

I thought the iMac needed mobile processors/chipsets, and the mobile version of i7 is not out yet,right?

KOBRRAkilla

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
I have heard from a buddy that works directly at Apple, and a friend at Best Buy the same thing--they will release them closer to tax season.

The event will likely be a dual week of year end financial reporting, and releasing the new Macs. This is my hope too at least.

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and should make you question the reliability of your friends' information. 1) April will be the 1st month of their fiscal Q3, not year-end. 2) Even if they take pre-orders in March, they will not be able to recognize any revenue...in fact they would be considered short-term liabilities to Apple.

Soxy

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008

spcdust

Maybe, the only thing that suggests against there being a speedbump is how the current iMac doesn't have anywhere to really go.

There's no obvious choice for a better CPU (Apple won't switch to Quad-core for a speedbump), the memory won't change unless they open it up to 8GB, which imo isn't gonna happen, and it's unlikely they would update them with nothing but a better graphics card in the higher end selections, they'd probably prefer to hold out and put a 9800GT in the i7 versions.

Remember that even for a speedbump there is a lot of time and money invested into it by Apple, so it has to be considered worth it, I don't have any numbers, but I don't think it's unfair to suggest that the iMac is still selling pretty well, so the "neccessity" argument for an update isn't really that compelling.

With that in mind, the major redesign to get the i7's into the iMac's is a much bigger deal, in my eyes I'd suspect more that Apple would spend the 8+ months before that point to clear their current inventory rather than release something new for a short period of time and relegate all their current versions to second class sales.

It's just speculation, but from a business standpoint I don't think Apple have much to gain from releasing a speedbump when we're relatively close to a whole redesign, perhaps even of the chassis, and I'm sure their moneymen have noticed that way before I did. :p

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Soxy, I totally see where you're coming from but with predictions/speculation that we won't see the mobile i7 chipset until, at the earliest, pretty late in the year it just seems to be a long old time between updates for the iMac.

Saying that we punters don't really know where Intel are with producing the mobile versions of this chip set, what arrangement they may have with Apple or wether any new iMac will even carry the mobile versions at all (although granted the current wattage of the desktop variant seem to be to hot for the iMac housing).

At the end of the day only Apple actually know what's happening, the rest of it is us reading between the lines and calculating that 2+2=5.

spcdust

Soxy

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
Soxy, I totally see where you're coming from but with predictions/speculation that we won't see the mobile i7 chipset until, at the earliest, pretty late in the year it just seems to be a long old time between updates for the iMac.

Saying that we punters don't really know where Intel are with producing the mobile versions of this chip set, what arrangement they may have with Apple or wether any new iMac will even carry the mobile versions at all (although granted the current wattage of the desktop variant seem to be to hot for the iMac housing).

At the end of the day only Apple actually know what's happening, the rest of it is us reading between the lines and calculating that 2+2=5.

spcdust

Actually the schedule for the mobile i7 is in Autumn (Fall for you yanks :p), and just because Apple are behind the curve on "current" technology, they are not averse whatsoever to being early adopters of new CPU's.

Remember they have a solid relationship with Intel since the switch, it's not like they have to wait till it's on store shelves then buy one to test it, they've probably had a Release Candidate in their labs in Cupertino for a little while at least.

Like you said it's just speculation but both sides have a pretty strong base to argue from, whether Apple are able to put them in iMac's on the day mobile i7's go public or whether it takes them until Christmas doesn't change the more pertinant fact of both how the current iMac has gone as far as it can go; and the business sense of the potentially very short time lapse between updates.

Either way, as a gamer I'm at the end of my tether, as much as I don't really want to, looks like Alienware (Dell) are gonna get my money instead of Apple after Tuesday is over next week if nothing happens.

Soxy

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
Well, according to Schiller's timeline, new desktops in the Fall...

Apple is now getting ready for the next iPhone event in June...

Good point actually, if Apple are going for this iPhone - iPod - Notebook - Desktop thing on their own timescale, the Mac Pro, iMac and Mac Mini are all overdue updates (don't jump on me I realise some more than others :p), and the i7's approaching, they really might hold out and do a Desktop Event for all three once they have their architecture/design sorted for the new chips.

Doesn't really help anyone, but nonetheless important point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.