Late MacBook 2009 Upgrade Advice......

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Boabyboy, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Boabyboy macrumors newbie

Hello folks,

I am thinking about upgrading my Macbook. I am aware that this model I have can handle up to 8 Gigabytes of RAM. I was told to get RAM from Crucial rather than going for a cheaper model. So RAM is covered. But before I actually buy extra RAM for my Macbook, has any of you have actually tried 8GB on a white 2.26ghz Late 2009 Macbook? I have currently got 4GB installed and is there a difference in performance from 4GB to 8GB?

My next question is uncertain? I need more hard drive space. I am just about used up my current 250GB hdd. I am thinking about getting a Seagate Momentous XT SSHD hybrid. I think the largest SSHD at the moment is 750GB. I have read the Macbook upgrade advice on this forum stating that all Macbooks hdd height are no more than 9.5. Is this correct for this Macbook that I have? Also for clarity sake, would the Momentous hybrid drive would fit in and operate on a Late 2009 white Macbook?

I hope I have given enough details and I look forward to suggestions.

Thank you,
    Boabyboy

2. gdourado macrumors 6502

gdourado

Hello,
    How are you?
    Sorry to post in your thread, but I also have a question about the late 2009 Macbook unibody.

I read that the HDD port is a Sata II port. Is the Optical drive port also Sata II?
    If i put a 750gb 7200rpm Western digital Black on the HDD slot and a Crucial M4 SSD on an optibay, can I do a DIY Fusion Drive with OSX 10.8.2?

Thank you.
    Cheers!

3. smokeyrabbit, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013

smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

In these pics you can see I have the late 2009 MacBook with 8 GB RAM and a 240 GB SSD OWC drive from OWC. Here is the link for all their SSD's they sell. If you don't mind giving up the optical drive, you can buy a mount to put a second SSD in the optical drive bay.

My MacBook runs very fast - the UI is faster than my iMac i7. It also doesn't heat up at all compared to having a spinning HD in there.

Attached Files:

4. gdourado macrumors 6502

gdourado

For a 2009 unibody 2.26, is it better to get a Crucial M4, V4 or a Samsung 840 Basic?

Cheers!

5. Boabyboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Click hyperlink for more info regards to 8GB/SSHD.

Check this thread instead folks, pretty much answers the same question I am needing answers regards to upgrading the white 2.26ghz MacBook late 2009 model.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1519735