Late Macbook keyboard problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by briangig, Nov 1, 2008.

1. briangig macrumors regular

A guy I know has a white 2ghz macbook (late 2006), warranty is out, no applecare. The perimeter keys (space, alt, option etc) dont work 90% of the time. I searched on google and this is not an uncommon problem. I called applecare hoping to weasel a free repair out of them, but the guy wasnt going for it. So now what? I know I can get a new top case for 140 bucks or whatever...but a two year old computer needing a new keyboard? I find that unacceptable. Should I call applecare again and play the angry customer?

2. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

So you didn't by AppleCare? When you bought the computer, they must have mentioned that it covers one year of hardware and software defects. You cannot anything "expect" above this.

All I am saying is, you are most likely going to get repeatedly rejecting for anything that needs to get fixed.

3. briangig thread starter macrumors regular

I am well aware of how things work...and this is not my system. I called applecare because this is not an isolated problem, and some people were getting the problem fixed for free, as there were some bad keyboards out there.

I still find is unacceptable that a keyboard dying on a two year old laptop isn't seen as a problem.

4. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Unfortunately that's what applecare is for. It's not unusual for things to start going wrong on a computer after the one-year mark, which is why an extended warranty is almost always a good idea. It sucks, but your friend probably won't be able to get a free repair. If you have one nearby maybe you can try going in to an Apple store, they may be more likely to help face-to-face and if you ask for a manager.