Late Macbook Pro 17 still a good buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Muscle Master, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Muscle Master, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

I was pondering somethings and looking for some opinions on buying a late discontinued Macbook Pro 17.. its not really that outdated. slap in an SSD and it will run

2. J.Appleseed macrumors regular

J.Appleseed

Ofcourse it isn't outdated. It's a high-end laptop - maybe half a year old, damnit.

3. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

pay no attention to my sig.. I never had the chance to upgrade to the retina. and I really can't shell out $2k rite now. so I was combing through eBay. and it seems the 17's are going for $1,200 or so. that's really a steal

For some reason, I can't stand buying something outdated. hate that part about me but I won't let that me from saving a few bucks

4. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Why not save money until june when haswell comes out ? If you follow moore's law you should know

5. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

1200$ for any quad core 17" is not bad, especially if you get a high-res for that price. If I did not have a bad back, I would be tempted.

On the other issue, you have to visualize a difference between performance computing and haute couture. In fashion, last season = outdated, in computing, last season = potential good deal.
    Just the fact that a product is "last season" does not make it any less powerful. Evenmore, now that the 17" is no longer produced, getting a relatively new 17" is a statement.

My 2 € cents.

RGDS,

6. J.Appleseed, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

J.Appleseed macrumors regular

J.Appleseed

You obviously don't get my point.

The Late 2011 17-inch MacBook Pro is not outdated. It may have the Sandy Bridge CPU instead of the fancy, all-new Ivy Bridge but that really doesn't make it an outdated computer. See, I wouldn't even call a 2008 iMac 'outdated' because it runs Apple's latest OS perfectly fine and can keep up with 'new' Macs just fine as far as basic tasks are concerned. A PowerMac G5, for example, is outdated to me because of the simple reason that it is in no way supported any more (not by Apple, not by third-party developers). But even then there's still a group of people that consider PowerMacs just as much a computer as your fancy Retina MacBook.

Also, you having a Retina MacBook is in no way a validation for finding a previous-gen device 'outdated'. I'd even dare saying that that 17" MacBook performs better than your Retina one because the Retina's internals aren't really meant to drive a display with that resolution.

I'm sorry if it wasn't your intention but I am starting to think that this topic was solely created to be able to say "Hey, you guys! I have a Retina MacBook and I think it's best computer ever to exist in this world and therefore I have the right to call every other computer slow, chunky and outdated. Even last years super high-end, top-specced laptop!".

EDIT
    Oh, wait. You don't have a Retina MacBook? Then what the hell is it doing in your sig?

That makes it even easier to not take you seriously. I am very sorry, but I just don't see how someone that does not seem to have any experience whatsoever regarding (high-end / new-age) Macs can judge a (former) flagship computer to be 'outdated'.

How old are you, if I may ask?

7. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Take it easy. Jeez

Believe me when I say.. I was within inches of buying a retina MBP but something came up and I had to divert my funds elsewhere. that's life. Its just never felt like changing it to something else
    not that big of a deal. its not like I proclaimed I had one

8. J.Appleseed macrumors regular

J.Appleseed

That's fine and perfectly understandable, but nevertheless it's no reason to call a machine like that "outdated".

9. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

your absolutely right. :D

I'm gonna look for one to buy