Late Macbook pro 64-bit vista nvidia 9600m gt problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lalleballe, Dec 23, 2008.

1. lalleballe macrumors newbie

Hi!

I baught my new macbook pro about a month ago and I love it. Been awesome in os x. I had win xp before but thought I'd throw vista 64bit on there instead since I have 4gigs of ram and wanted to put my hardware to use instead of only being able to use 3gigs in win xp... anyhow here is my issue.

To my knowledge I have the latest nvidia release (notebook driver off their webpage) but it seems something is not working as intended since ever so often my computer might freeze up for about 5 seconds. Sometimes it can be a good while between the freezes and sometimes it is every 30 seconds.

I'm not sure if it might be the graphics driver that is the issue eventhough maybe once a day I actually get a black screen for a couple seconds then when the screen pops back I get a message in the lower right corner saying that vista reset my graphics driver since it was unresponsive. It mentions the following file which I can't seem to find on my pc: nvlddmkm

So could it be that there is some issue with the late mbp, the graphics card or might it be something totally different like a driver for something else?

Is there a site or something, or someone that knows where I can get ALL the latest drivers for everything on the late mbp to be able to rule out it is a old driver issue of something else other than the graphics card?

I'm debating taking vista off and throwing on xp again, but I'd rather fix the problem instead! Plus I like being able to use all my 4gigs of ram.

If more specs about my computer is needed, let me know and I'll gladly provide you with all information.
    Thanks in advance!

2. lalleballe thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought I'd also say that I have the input remapper program installed and have both fans cranked to the max. Computer has been very cool, but it has been pretty hot before I installed the program.

When I open the input remapper program my mbp pretty much continually freezes then unfreezes for a second, then freezes then unfreezes for a second, etc. So it took me like 10 min to get my cursor to max the fans out and click okay...

should bootcamp be running even when you have this program? Maybe it's as simple as that... that those two shouldn't be running at the same time? Do I disable bootcamp or what?

While writing this, my computer froze up for a couple seconds again, then it unfroze. Seems so random, and doesn't seem like I have to do any graphics intense things to have this issue occur.

Hope someone has a solution cuz I'd hate to have to go to the extreme and sell my pretty baby and get something that can use windows without problems. (I have to be able to use windows for various programs and networking at work)

3. lalleballe thread starter macrumors newbie

A friend of mine has some program called driver agent and i installed it. After running it it says the following is out of date:

NVIDIA nForce System Management
    NVIDIA nForce System Management Controller
    NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet #2

It does link me to a download but I'm unsure if they are the latest drivers, or if this even is the issue?

It links me to this: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_vista64_15.23.html

Are these the latest? Atm I believe I have the drivers given on my disc I got with the mbp.

4. lalleballe thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Loki.Mephisto macrumors regular

Germany / Austria - Mozart, no Kangaroos!
    Are Vista 64 drivers included on your install disc?

As far as i know, there are no Vista drivers included except for the Mac Pros. If you´ve managed to bring the stock drivers from nVidia to install, it might be that the clock speed is to high. If that´s the case, throttle the clock speed down.

Generally it is a good idea to use genuine drivers only unless you very well know what you´re doing. Genuine manufacturer´s drivers should work best and you´re not voiding warranty

6. lalleballe thread starter macrumors newbie

I've only used genuine drivers for 100% of my installs.

As for clock speed, I have no clue but I'll see if I can somehow find how to check it and change it.

7. Loki.Mephisto macrumors regular

I´m sorry i´ve no Vista installation at the moment, so i can only give some hints derived from my memories ..

If you installed the drivers from Leopard Install DVD only this should be ok. The driver whiz you mentioned is not very useful, i think, as drivers for notebooks are not provided by nVidia; nVidia only provides drivers for their stock cards.

So, even the whizard detects some outdated driver this doesn´t necessarily mean there´s a new driver for your particular Mac.

As far as i remember there should be a "Apple Driver Update" (or something similar) in your Vista Program´s folder.

Does your Mac run flawlessly under Mac OS?

8. magicsleeper macrumors newbie

9. lalleballe thread starter macrumors newbie

Since day one of having vista on my mbp it's had this problem.
    Runs great in mac osx so I think I can safely say that it's not a gpu problem.

Nvidia does indeed have notebook drivers and they are the ones I've installed after the initial apple cd vista64 driver.

Apple software update is what I've found, and yes I've run it before. Only program updates.

Will check out riva.
    Worst case it seems like I should revert back to xp eventhough I'd hate to...

So it seems like I am the ONLY one with this issue and a late mbp?

10. lalleballe thread starter macrumors newbie

Got riva installed and working fine in vista 64bit. (Was even on their homepage that it supported 64bit)

Now the question is: What should I de-clock it to?

On performance 3d it has the following settings atm:
    core clock: 393
    shader clock: 786
    memory clock 700

On low performance 3d it has:
    core clock: 279
    shader clock: 558
    memory clock 297

On standard 2d it has:
    core clock: 169
    shader clock: 338
    memory clock: 100

Are there any other things in rivatuner i should play around with?

Or anything in nvidia's control panel?

11. Loki.Mephisto macrumors regular

Is there still an option to automatically detecting clock speed? If yes, this should be fine

12. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

This is normal Windows behavior. The best known fix is to completely uninstall Windows and use OS X, which also runs cooler = better for the life of your MBP.

13. Loki.Mephisto macrumors regular

Well, ya know, i do not like Windows either, but this is simply nonsense!

14. lalleballe thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I auto detected to get those settings.

Anything else I need to do?
    What was the point of auto-detecting?

15. Loki.Mephisto macrumors regular

The point is that the driver conservatively self-detects appropriate clock-speeds. That way it gives maximum performance on one hand, and safe operation on the other hand.

All that given that everything´s ok. Honestly, i have no idea what maybe wrong with your system. :confused:

Usually, in cases like that it may be an idea to re-setup Windows, but of course doing so may eventually lead to nothin´

16. lalleballe thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, to my surprise it hasn't been behaving badly in the last couple of hours after several changes:

1) installed rivatuner
    2) disabled bootcamp to load at startup
    3) disabled input remapper to load at startup

The only minus side is that I can't use my keys to change volume on the keyboard, or backlight, or light up my keyboard... but it's been smooth.

Odd.

Maybe its just a fluke, but seems like either both of them should be disabled, or maybe just one doesn't like the other (bootcamp vs. input remapper)??

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

try pressing the Fn key and the corresponding key for the back light... alternatively, go into the bootcamp control panel and check the settings.

18. lalleballe thread starter macrumors newbie

If you have bootcamp & remapper not loaded, you can't do that.
    And of course I know you use the fn key..... :rolleyes:

Still get some odd freezes, but can't say it's that often.
    Guess it's just that vista sucks...

19. cg165 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

this is 100% wrong. Why would you give that kind of advice?! It's not normal behavior and I would try wiping your windows partition and reinstall. I'm running windows vista ultimate 64 bit without any problems. It's really fast actually with no lag or hang. I do use www.laptopvideo2go.com video driver so maybe that's why. Use he latest 180.xx driver.

20. ljay macrumors newbie

I'm wondering why the OP would even try to use input remapper since version 1.0.04 came out in late 2007 and I believe was designed for intel based chipsets and not nvidia based chipsets. This was also prior to bootcamp 2.1. I used it on my last intel MBPRO and it worked great. I wouldn't even consider trying to use it on my new unibody MBPRO until a new version is released. I think the only real way at the moment to control fans in windows at the moment is SMC fan control.