Late MBP 2008 TH1H harware error

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crimo, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Crimo macrumors newbie

Hello there, i get this error code when i run the hardware test.

4sns/1/40000000:Th1H-128.000

As far as i know is a thermal sensor error, but, when i run Istat i get reading of almost every temp sensor; my fans are at 6000 rpm all the time because of that but, the question is, can i repair it myself? is there anyone taht could tell me where i buy the sensor and if is there any "how to" tutorial so i can replace it myself? Thank you!

2. Crimo thread starter macrumors newbie

Im sorry it isnt a late 2008, is an early 2008 :$, please help.

3. DarkAustrian macrumors newbie

I've got the exact same problem! Have you found a solution yet?

4. h4lp m3 macrumors 6502

5. h4lp m3, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013

h4lp m3 macrumors 6502

That's funny because I put "4sns/1/40000000:Th1H-128.000" into google and only got 8 results. Tell you what though... I was fortunate to have an identical MBP laying around... replaced the heatsink sensor that connects to the top-middle of the logic board and no more errors. [​IMG] Don't take a genius to figure out that "Heat pipe" is Apple talk for Heatsink.:eek:

Tell you what's more... You know that notorious "Distorted video or no video issues" issue with the Nvidia graphics chip? As it turns out, People are taking heatguns to the Logic Board to fix the issue and reselling them on eBay as "refurbished"...

But there's a problem with this technique... It's often performed by clumsy or inexperienced baffoons who don't protect the heatsink connector by placing tin foil over it and they BURN THE CONNECTOR, causing the fans to run wild. IDIOTS! :mad:

Under a microscope, the solder joints are a nice toasted shade of brown instead of the shiny silver tone they should be.. Since you probably don't have ONE OF THESE and probably never will, I snapped some high res images for ya.

1. Here's an ultra-high res image of how solder joints should look on a logic board: IMAGE
    2. And here's the burnt one that aplussalesinc tried to pass off to me: IMAGE

But what do I know? I'm just a dumb country boy. Should probably go to the  GENIUS BAR and have some college kids that know WTF they're talking about tell you your machine in "vintage"- that it's time to buy a new one.

Cheers,
    H4LP M3!!!

Attached Files: