Late noticed factory scratch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by luharribad, Apr 13, 2014.

1. luharribad macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I bought a brand new macbook pro from my university's books store a little over ten days ago. I just now noticed it has a factory scratch:(. The reason I know its a factory scratch is because when you look at the computer (it's on the left side of the trackpad) you can't see anything, you can't even feel it! This is why it went unnoticed for so long. However, when you tilt the computer at an angle and shine a light on it, its a glaring imperfection and shines a lot brighter than the rest of the unibody. I took it to a genius bar and they said they can't do any exchanges since I didn't buy it at the apple store, so tomorrow I'm taking it to the book store. My question for you guys is have any of you had something similar happen, and did you get a replacement? Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its really a crap shoot at this point. Its up where you bought it, if they believe you or not.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If it is indeed that hard to even find, I wouldn't bother taking it in

4. luharribad thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand that, usually things like this don't bother me. But I spent over 1600 dollars on this thing, and I expect to be given a perfect product, not to mention this has got to affect resale value

5. campyguy macrumors 68030

First, grab a beer - that's what students do. I was one once...

I'm not offering advice on what to do with the place you bought it - that's your deal and good luck with that.

If you end up with the mile-deep scratch (it'll eat at you forever...), take the laptop to a jeweler and ask them to remove the scratch. For maybe $5-10 they'll rub it out with jeweler's cloth or they'll use a cloth with jeweler's rouge. You can buy the cloth or rouge online - but it's their trusted hand you'll want. The alu case can be tricky to work on if you don't have experience with the cloth/rouge. You'll be in and out in 3-10 minutes and you'll never see the repair.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Doubt if many on here have bought their Mac's from the same uni book store....and that's what counts, their reaction, not what anyone else got...

7. Infinite Jest macrumors 6502

Chances are (being a student myself), you'll have a host of other scratches and nicks to complement that in a few months. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I understand where you're coming from.

8. blooperz macrumors 6502

Scratches are inevitable, case or no case. Nobody will be looking for something that insignificant/small if you try to resell the machine. You yourself said that you can't see or feel the scratch, so the hassle of trying to replace it is really not worth the trouble. Who knows what problems your replacement machine will have, sounds like you got one of the good ones I would keep it.

9. luharribad thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it replaced!

Just an update i got it taken care of! They gave me a new one right away:)

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Good for you. Are you happy now? :apple:

11. luharribad thread starter macrumors newbie

very

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get a Moshi Palmguard: Covers and protect against future palm area scratches.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Good to hear, glad it worked out for you :)