Late to the Game

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XTheLancerX, Sep 24, 2014.

1. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Alright, so because of my complicated scenario involving my upgrade to the iPhone 6, I kind of decided late that I actually wanted to get it right away. I obviously didn't preorder, and have now observed how the iPhone 6 is out of stock everywhere, which I somewhat was expecting.

What exactly would be my best bet in getting one now? I called 2 of the nearest Verizon stores, 2 Walmarts, and a RadioShack, to no avail. The Apple store isn't really an option because the nearest one is like 2 hours away, and I don't exactly want to go that far.

If I order from Verizon now, they claim I should get my iPhone 6 by October 17th. I'm not overly satisfied with that, but if it's the best option I will take it. I'm not overly knowledgable in shipping methods and schedules for stores, so how soon will stores be getting their next shipment of iPhones? Would I be able to get one sooner if I check in to these stores frequently, asking whether they are in stock? RadioShack was trying desperately to make me a customer, claiming "If you order now, you could potentially get your iPhone in 2 business days if they are in the warehouse" (highly unlikely in my mind).

So, will checking in with stores, or ordering from Verizon get me an iPhone sooner?

2. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Why not order from Apple online? They will likely have it shipped out to you before the quoted ship date if it is for the 6 and not 6+. And probably faster than the carrier will get it shipped to you too.

3. XTheLancerX, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

XTheLancerX thread starter macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I heard that the 6 had orders pushed back to November, but maybe that was the 6+, so I will look into it. I don't think I will have the most horrendous problems since I don't want a 6+.

[Edit] I just looked at Apple's website and plugged in my desired configuration, it says available to ship in 7-10 business days. I know this is a weird question, but does that mean it will arrive in 7-10 business days? Or, it will process etc, and then begin to start making its way in 7-10 business days?

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I didn't decide until Sunday that I wanted one and my wife didn't decide until Monday.

I went to the store Sunday at 11:30am. I was probably about 75 people back in line. I used the Apple Store App to buy one for in store pickup. I went home, watched some football and got an email around 1:30 that my phone was ready. I walked right in (there was no line for the in store pickup) and walked out with my phone in about 15 minutes. There were still people in line from earlier waiting to buy in store.

Yesterday, I did the same type of order for my wife when I woke up at 6:30am. She got the email that it was ready around 1pm. We went after work and were in and out in about 30 mins.

In other words, buy it online for in store pickup, save yourself from waiting in line and hoping you get the phone you want.

Best of Luck!

BTW: This was for the 6, not 6+

5. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

6+ is the harder to get. You shouldn't have too much trouble getting a 6, especially if you can get to an Apple Store. Why not order one online for in-store pickup this weekend and make a little road trip out of it. 2 hours each way isn't too long to get the phone 3 weeks earlier IMO.

6. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Should be 7-10 days for the 6. I just ordered one for my wife on Monday afternoon and it is already "prepared for shipping." So I am guessing I will be getting it a lot sooner than later. Good good.

7. XTheLancerX, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

XTheLancerX thread starter macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

This is all great news guys, I may be able to do in store pickup, actually. I want my iPhone, so I think I can tolerate a 4 hour round trip. Even if I decide to get it shipped to me, it still will be way better than October 17th! I will take October 1st-4th (based on the 7-10 day estimate) any day.

[Edit] In store pickup is a no-go. The nearest Apple store (2 hours away) and even the next (5 hours away) lists Unavailable for in store pickup.

[Edit] Just placed my order today, won't get here until October 15th-20th. :/

8. XTheLancerX thread starter macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I know this died awhile ago but my phone already started shipping. The email from Apple says "Delivers October 8th" but on UPS it says "Scheduled Delivery: Friday, 10/03/2014, By End of Day". Before it started shipping, the range was "October 15th-20th".

Which one should I trust/be prepared for?