Late to the party... Osama is dead.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gameface, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gameface macrumors 6502

So a friend told me there was a gathering in Boston Common a few miles away. I didn't leave my house until almost 2AM so I was a bit late but I stuck around until the police got the crowd to disperse. I only had my on camera flash and there is NO LIGHT there so I did what I could.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

People, this forum, Digital Photography, should be directed at that particular topic. If someone wants to comment on the qualities of the photos posted by the OP then do so. There is a Community forum here on this site that seems to be the more appropriate place for debating the merits or faults in the take down of this particular human being. Let's remember to keep it civil boys and girls.

3. CrackedButter, May 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011

CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

It was civil. It was also obvious that nobody wanted to discuss it either.

Surely my previous comment, was a comment on the quality of photography presented?

But if I must, in order to fit within the rules of what is an acceptable critical response: The photos are poorly composed, lots of red eye and bad use of flash resulting from using a compact camera. Try using an SLR with a low light lens, 24mm, getting closer to your subject. Go out and try again with another event involving people.

4. gameface, May 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011

gameface thread starter macrumors 6502

You think a point and shoot is going to give you that bokeh? I want one!!!

I used a 7D with a 70-200 f/2.8L. If you took the time to look at the exif you would have seen that. Problem was, it was almost pitch black, the only lens I had with me and only on camera flash. I wasn't going for art, I was just quickly documenting what happened as I had all of 10 minutes to get some shots before the cops made everyone disperse (hence the title of the thread, I got there late). If I gave a **** I would have done photoshop work to fix the pictures but I don't. I'm a professional editor and quite handy with PS but quite frankly didn't feel the need. I'm not claiming to be a photojournalist. I just wanted to share that people were gathering.

I also could have turned red eye reduction on and used flash compensation, but again, I was in a hurry and didn't care.

Photography isn't always about art. Look at some of my other shots in this forum and you will see I actually know what I am doing.

And PS... the MLK quote wasn't correct. You came in here for a political debate the first time and that was it.

5. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I really like the picture of the gentleman with the US flag on a hockey stick. Definitley fits with Boston/New England.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Some photos should be color corrected.

LOL at the person who uses a MBP as a sign.

7. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Yeah what was she thinking? Everyone knows that you should use only iPads as signs.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The pictures are nicely composed but you do need to remove the red eye. I think that will increase the quality of the pictures greatly.

9. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Jeez a bit defensive......

Anyways, the fact of the matter is this: These do NOT look like a 7D was involved, much less a 70-200 f/2.8.

If I had glanced at the photos and not read the thread I would have put money on these being taken with a P+S.

And as for the whole:
    , If you really didn't care, why bother sharing photos in the Photography first place?

AFAIK any photos posted in here are fair game for critique.

10. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

bunch of retards to celebrate the death of someone.

how does this look from a muslim's perspective. it no different than we see "evil" muslims celebrating on the streets while dragging dead american soldiers.

this nonsense has to stop

11. gameface thread starter macrumors 6502

People usually ask for critique. Reason I showed them was it was a big deal that night and figured maybe someone would want to see what others did when they heard the news. Sorry you all have a pole up your ass and have to be pricks.

Don't worry, no need to be bothered with them anymore.

12. johnnj macrumors 6502a

What's this thread have to do with photography?

Did I miss something?

13. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Sorry your pictures were sub par :rolleyes:

almost as "Retarded" as using "retard" as a pejorative :rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

As a professional of the visual arts you should know that publicly showing subpar work only reflects poorly on your behalf because people see it and associate it with your abilities, whether it's justified or not. If you didn't care to fix them up, why did you care to share them? If they were only for documentary value, perhaps another forum (like PRSI) would have been more appropriate.

15. gameface thread starter macrumors 6502

I would never post a non color corrected video up as that is my trade. I would never leave a bad loop in the audio of the cut nor never leave anything non-onlined if I was displaying it to the public. But, photography I do for fun and that was "hey grab my camera and see if I can see what all the hubub is about". Sorry if they weren't to anyone's liking. I have removed them since it has cause nothing but arguments and have asked the mods twice now to remove the thread for the sake of civility.

And honestly, this is a place to throw photos which is what I did. I didn't want to start a political debate. I believe I used the correct forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.