Late winter nor'easter 2017: how snowed in are you?!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by LizKat, Mar 14, 2017.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The Catskill mountains area got hammered pretty well into the snowfall record books for this late in the season. Kudos to the BGM weather forecasters for getting it on the money around here... unless it keeps going past 11pm we'll end up with around 30 inches plus drifts. All I know is the rabbit fence around my veggie garden is 36" off the roll, 2" off ground and at the moment I can see only the top 4 inches. Good luck to the guy who plows my driveways if he ever gets here. All roads are closed except to plows and official emergency traffic. Looks like a Netflix night for sure LOL.

March2017BlizzardSnowTotalForecastsUpstateNY.jpg

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Um did you hear ever the old saying "March: In Like a Lion and out on a lamb"!

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'm so glad I migrated south. I don't miss that at all. It was fun talking to my kids yesterday though - both of them were home from work due to everything being shut down in NYC.

4. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Sure. LOL not to mention "beware the ides of March"...

But I can count on one hand the number of times in the past 30 years that all roads have been closed in three counties around here, with snowfall up to the top of my garden fence -- and none of those storms were in mid-March.

I'm just happy that electrical power stayed on here, unlike in Virginia -- where at one point more than 46,000 customers were without power-- and grateful the snow was the light fluffy kind. Also pleased to see the forecast is for a continued period of moderately cold weather, so all this stuff won't melt off as fast as the 14" snowdump a few weeks ago.

5. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

Got ~28-30" here (on the border of Onondaga and Madison counties). It's a mess, to say the least, and still coming down.

Not the worst snow I've ever seen - but definitely one of the worst. Thankfully it isn't that heavy wet crap.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

More of a bust here. Only 13 inches of snow. The the pain in the ass factor is high as it's high water content.

7. jaduff46 macrumors regular

jaduff46

Had 12-14 here in northern NJ but heard of places close by that had a few inches more. Was bracing for the predicted 18-24.

8. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Sitting in the tropics, I'm quite jealous. Log fire, red wine time...

9. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

#California

The day the snowstorm hit the Northeast, it was approaching 80 here with bright blue skies :) Now there's plenty of snow in the Sierras and I will be visiting it this weekend :)

10. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

LOL ya better stay there... if the rest of this thread catches you before spring locates us, you're toast.

I'm still more or less snowed in, although the guy who plows my driveways made a place for a fire engine to pull in close to the house if necessary. Good enough for me at this point. I guess in a couple days the Catskills ski resorts will be doing land office business in late winter for a change. First they have to locate their trails...

11. 960design macrumors 68020

Went out on the boat. Sunny, mid sixties, love Florida.

12. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Trout season opened on schedule on Saturday... that's as close as we're going to get to Florida weather, and at that even though it was sunny it was only in the 40s. I dunno... trudging through lingering snowbanks to pop a line into near-flood streams doesn't seem like all that much fun to me but plenty do it around here every year, and come home with nice trout so I guess it's worth it! I still have a few three-foot glaciers where the guy plowed up, but otherwise looks like spring's around the corner. Happy mud season!

13. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

In my county in Upstate NY I saw some cars parked at dirt parking lot next to the River! The Trout season is mostly likely and have noticed some trees down in the River (because it is along the road I take to work) throughout this season! Plus the River is very close to flood level after the snow melt and the last 5 days of steady rain! Today is the first time in 2 days I actually saw the Sun!

14. JackieInCo, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017

JackieInCo macrumors 601

Meanwhile, we haven't had any measurable snow here in Denver Colorado since sometime in January. Temps have been 50s on up to 70s and even a few days in the 80s. We have a chance for SOME snow again tonight but like the last few storms, they miss the city of Denver completely and we just get rain. Weather people said March was the third driest month on record as far as snow goes and it's usually one of the worst for snow. Major blizzards have happened in March and even April.

My heating bill has been below $100 every month since January,

I was going to buy a snowblower this year after we had about 10 inches fall one day in December but I'm glad I didn't. I'll put it off till the fall and see what happens. We used to get snow in Denver. Honest.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I've had about 10 inches of snow in the last couple of days. But I'm not in the northeast.

16. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Spring, the season of Mother Nature changing her mind every ten minutes? My plow guy has been surprised enough by mid April snowdumps that he sends out his bills in mid-May.

The northeast is now struggling to deal with a couple inches of rain on top of 3 feet of snowpack that has melted in the past week and a half. Either the water table is topped off or else the ground is still frozen in some places... so, in upstate NY, it's water water everywhere with two of the Finger Lakes and most of the river systems threatening to make trouble.

But hey we're admiring the green map below (from last night) while we still can because the next thing up is... yeah, more snow! It's snowing in the Catskills now. Still above freezing, but just barely, so I have to bring in my cellar pump's hose before it drops into the 20s tonight. Never a dull moment in April the past couple years.

WaterWaterEverywhereAndSnowOnTheWay.jpg

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Ouch that sounds bad. Colorado weather is so unpredictable. On Mothers Day 2014 a blizzard hit the state, and I had about 7-8 inches of snow at my house.

18. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Except for May through October. LOL

19. 960design macrumors 68020

Haha! Love it May through October as well! 95F, sun on the skin, ocean below you, nothing better.