Late2008 UMBP and 64bit SL Kernel. Any benefit?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bliks, Sep 6, 2009.

1. bliks macrumors member

As the topic says, I have the 2.53GHz UMBP and it has the 64bit EFI. But through my searches online I cant seem to find a definitive answer to this.

I am in no ways a power user. I have open at most, MSN, Skype, iTunes, Mail and Firefox with a few tabs open. Is there any benefit to me running in the 64bit Kernel?

I booted into it an hour or so ago and I can't really tell if theres a real difference or not. What about battery preformance as well? Will it be lower or maybe even a slight increase?

Thanks for the info guys :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

For your usage, stick with 32-bit. All drivers aren't 64-bit so sooner than later you may drive into troubles.

I used 64-bit for 4 hours and noticed no difference.

3. santos79 macrumors regular

I switched to the 64-Bit kernel a few hours after upgrading Snow Leopard and found it more responsive, so I left it that way. I don't see any reason to switch back to 32-bit as I don't have any driver issues. I have a uMBP with the 2.4 GHz CPU and 4GB of RAM.

4. kolax macrumors G3

You seriously found it more responsive? Finder will already be running in 64-bit, whether you are using 32-bit kernel or 64-bit kernel.

What did you find more "responsive" about it?

There is no real need to use the 64-bit kernel unless you plan on using 96GB's of RAM.. performance right now between 32-bit and 64-bit kernels is pretty much the same/unnoticeable to the user.

That isn't to say, as 10.6's updates are released we see more and more 64-bit drivers and finally Apple officially enabling the 64-bit kernel, that using a 64-bit kernel won't increase performance. Just we aren't there yet, and using a 64-bit kernel will just most likely cause a problem if you don't happen to have a 64-bit driver for something you use.

5. adamk77 macrumors 6502

Until someone does a conclusive review and benchmarks 32- vs 64-bit, I am inclined to believe that any perceived "responsiveness" you feel is all in your head. Because from what I've read so far, there really shouldn't be such a drastic difference that you can actually feel the responsiveness.

6. santos79 macrumors regular

I know it doesn't make sense theoretically, but the 64-Bit applications such as Mail and Safari just seemed "snappier" after switching kernels, meaning that they start up immediately and are more responsive thereafter. No difference in 32-bit applications, though. iTunes is still sluggish.

The way I see it it's the other way around: There's no reason to use the 32-Bit kernel unless you have incompatible applications or hardware.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

LOL I booted into 64-bit kernel and keyboard stop working...:confused: w/e, 64-bit does nothing when all I have is 4GB RAM.

8. klee1987 macrumors regular

don't bother.

that's all i have to say

9. kolax macrumors G3

Until it is officially supported by Apple (i.e. they enable it on all supported Macs) then it obviously isn't quite ready for prime time and I'd not recommend it.

10. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

when I boot into the 64 bit magic, the system is much faster. When the desktop loads, the dock, the bar on top all become visible noticeably faster. The system is ready to be used quicker and it does have a more snappy feeling when working on it.