Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grosado78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
San Juan, pR
I have a late 2015 5k iMac with a 4ghz i7, 8gb ram , AMD Radeon R9 M3995x 4gb and a 500gb ssd running MacOS Sierra.
The computer shuts off randomly and if I try to turn it up with the power button it doesn't turn on, I have to unplug it, wait a few seconds and then plug it in. I took it for service and did not showed anything, brought it home and for about 3 weeks or so worked perfectly, once again started to fail with the same problem, this time I took it to Best Buy since the computer is just 1 yrs old and I bought apple care, They ran all the diagnostics and the computer did not showed up anything again, they reinstalled the OS and I brought it home, after a couple of days I upgraded to Sierra version 10.12.1 and a couple of days later I still have the same problems. Im a photographer and its annoying having this issue with a new computer and having to deliver work in a timely manner to my clients. Does anyone has any clues of whats the problem?

MetalCores

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Mosinee, WI
Best advice would be to contact Apple again. You have Apple care so the issue should be covered. They just have to figure out the issue

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
First, stay away from Best Buy if you want your iMac repaired correctly. Generally, random shut downs can be caused by bad memory, overheating, bad power supply, and power fluctuations where you live. Since you live in San Juan, PR, I would be inclined to think that power fluctuations might be the culprit. You can eliminate that by using a good filtered UPS (uninterruptible power supply). And since you're iMac is still under Apple Care, you can always take it back to Apple and have them run diagnostics again.

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
Mine did that - diagnostics at the Apple store found nothing. I suggested they keep it for a day or two and watch it happen. They did see it and replaced the logic board and power supply. It's running fine since I got it back.

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
I would be so furious if this happened. I would say take it to the Apple Store, some of the employees at the Apple Store can be pretty lenient if you get the right ones.

They've given me free MacBook chargers and iPhone cables before, I've also heard of instances of them giving computers away to people who had a problem with their machine, but this is all subject to "YMMV".

zhaoxin

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2015
I had the exactly the same issue since yesterday. Mine is iMac 5K 2014 late, i7 4.0 GHz, AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB.
I ordered a pickup from Apple. It will send some guy to pick up mine tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.