Latency issues with MIDI only controller

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by MarkVukalcic, Sep 1, 2008.

1. MarkVukalcic macrumors newbie

Hello-This is my first foray into the forum; I have a Roland RD-300s digital piano-88 keys with nice weighted action. I am looking to purchase a Mac Book Pro + Logic 8 with MainStage. My controller is 18+ years old, but I love the action; it is MIDI only. From various threads, I've gleaned that the computer's
    CPU & RAM are paramount, but will latency be an issue? I like straight ahead clean piano sounds for R&B, jazz, some layering when comping behind a singer.
    Also, are the pianos in MainStage adequate---Recommendations and compatibility with Logic? Thanks:):

2. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

Any modern day mac will not be a problem. Not one bit. You just have to set the latency low (128, 256, maybe even 512 is acceptable) and away you go.

3. electronique macrumors 6502

Fixed

4. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

Latency still doesn't come into it if we're talking purely midi with soft synths.

5. electronique macrumors 6502

Yes it does..Latency relates to drivers/settings/buffers etc within your audio interface.. Whether it be midi/audio...

6. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

You're very wrong.
    Latency issues are generally in direct relation to A/D (D/A as well if you work OTB). Basically no external audio source = no problem.
    Seeing as everything will be handled internally (controlled via midi), simply setting buffer low will be fine. A 'decent audio interface' won't make an ounce of difference.

7. electronique macrumors 6502

No no.
    The Audio Interface (or soundcard if you wish to use one) still has to process the D/A conversion..

Taken from here
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec00/articles/vst.asp

8. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

I have no recollection of how sound cards were 8 years ago, but may I suggest you start up any VI on your mac right now, output through the regular sound card with buffer at 128 and tell me, honestly, whether you notice ANY latency?
    I'll bet you can't, which was my point to begin with.
    D/A conversion is nowhere near as troublesome as A/D, particularly in the OP's case.