Latest 17" MPB Production Quality?

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
2,575
535
California
Enough already on waiting for the Rev B. - I have to get something and am back and forth between the 15" and 17" MBP.

What is the build quality on the latest 17" production runs? The 17" sounded as if was having the fewest number of problems and there were some surveys that backed that up - not sure how valid they were though.

Most importantly - did the 17" ever receive a revised mlb to address the whine and heat issues? Those issues were less pronounced with the 17" but still a problem. Also - has the "floppy display" hinge issue been improved?

Thanks.
 

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
3,348
2
Washington, DC
scott523 said:
Has Apple done this before? Another update a day after Aperture 1.5 is release? :confused:
Yes, at NAB, they waited until the beginning of the event to release the 17" MBP. They also did it at NAB a few years ago where they announced a speed bump to the 17" PB after a Final Cut upgrade I believe.
 

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
861
79
Illinois
I've been playing with the 15' and 17' MBP's at the store lately. I had my heart set on the 17', and ended up getting the 2.0ghz 15' instead. Mostly just because the 17' seemed too big (and the screen had a little more play in it), and because then, I couldn't justify $400 for a graphics card/processor upgrade (I'll be upgrading my HDD and RAM on my own).
 

Reaver

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2006
281
0
Columbus, Ohio
richard4339 said:
I've been playing with the 15' and 17' MBP's at the store lately. I had my heart set on the 17', and ended up getting the 2.0ghz 15' instead. Mostly just because the 17' seemed too big (and the screen had a little more play in it), and because then, I couldn't justify $400 for a graphics card/processor upgrade (I'll be upgrading my HDD and RAM on my own).
I believe the replacing of the HDD yourself voids the warrenty if I am not mistaken.
 

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
2,575
535
California
richard4339 said:
I've been playing with the 15' and 17' MBP's at the store lately. I had my heart set on the 17', and ended up getting the 2.0ghz 15' instead. Mostly just because the 17' seemed too big (and the screen had a little more play in it), and because then, I couldn't justify $400 for a graphics card/processor upgrade (I'll be upgrading my HDD and RAM on my own).
Richard - my plan is to purchase a SATA ExpressCard and go external. WAY more options, no additional heat in the MBP, and really FAST transfer rates if you go with a Raptor (for example).