Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has shared a new 60-second black-and-white Apple Music ad starring chart-topping American country singer Brantley Gilbert.

According to publicity firm Big Hassle, the ad was shot over two days near the small village of Leiper's Fork, Tennessee. The video captures Gilbert on a motorcycle ride through the heart of rural America, while he praises the small town ethos that has helped him in his songwriting career.
I love the feeling out here. The freedom. The simplicity. The open road. This is my home. No matter where I go, my heart stays here. With my friends, my family. Just country. There's nothing that replaces the feeling of getting out there and letting it all go in the wind. People you meet, memories you share, and the soundtrack that drives it. My country. My people. My music. Apple Music.
The commercial features snippets of Gilbert's latest single, The Ones That Like Me, plus country and rock classics such as Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd and Born to Be Wild by Steppenwolf.
"I've never been one for commercials," says the man who's certified back-to-back platinum for Halfway To Heavenand Just As I Am. "But when we started talking to the folks at Apple, they were saying, 'We want to capture you, the way you live and the values you hold. We want people to see your world, show them what you hear and respond to. If they see you, it says everything.'"
The ad debuted on NBC's pre-race show for NASCAR's annual Brickyard 400, sponsored by Gilbert and his label, on Sunday.

Gilbert has released three studio albums since signing with Big Machine Records in 2011, with four chart-topping singles such as Bottoms Up. He also wrote country singer Jason Aldean's popular singles My Kinda Party and Dirt Road Anthem.

Article Link: Latest Apple Music Ad Stars Country Singer Brantley Gilbert

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
The commercial features snippets of Gilbert's latest single, The Ones That Like Me, plus country and rock classics such as Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd and Born to Be Wild by Steppenwolf.

This ad will be effective.

People want to hear these songs, the radio isn't always playing them, obviously they can't. Enter Apple Music that has all the music you know and you don’t need to purchase each song to listen or pre-download (pirate) and sync and all that work.

Playing the same pop stars ad nauseum, that’s what people don’t need, and what the radio has to offer.

Apple just needs to make other radio stations other than Beats 1 that focus on specific genres.

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014

Weird...
While reading this, I was listening to Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd on Pandora. It played randomly on the Thumbprint station.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Not really a country music fan, but the dude has back-to-back platinum albums, so obviously there are plenty of fans out there.

Good for Apple to reach out to people who listen to whatever genres people enjoy.

Is there a Foo Fighters ad? ;-)

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Weird...
While reading this, I was listening to Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd on Pandora. It played randomly on the Thumbprint station.
Is it really weird or is it WEIRD?!?! With all this new fangled AI/AR/AARP going on, I feel as if I'm always being watched. And the more powerful, more aware Siri is alarming becau-

/Siri tranquilizes 69Mustang
/starts deleting 69Mustang's quote

{hits Post Reply before passing out}

tell my wife I love her... sometimes

Reactions: Juicy Box

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
I just had a mild heart attack...Apple and a genre other than rap? This can't be right. Maybe they do monitor these threads

rbramseyjr

macrumors member
May 23, 2017
atlanta
*sits back and watches the reaction to this commercial vs reactions to rap / hip-hop apple commercials*
clear.png
:rolleyes:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I just had a mild heart attack...Apple and a genre other than rap? This can't be right. Maybe they do monitor these threads
They featured Taylor Swift in their ads previously. Don't act like that. You only hear about JayZ and rap more because more people are listening to that genre. Plus JayZ and other rappers have all tried to steer consumers towards their own app Tidal.

Reactions: 5105973

michaelant

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
Alright. This has to be a stage name, right? There's no way someone is just randomly named "Brantley Gilbert" from birth, and they just happen to turn out to become a country music singer. I'm going to check. His real name is probably something like John Stevensford.
[doublepost=1501022263][/doublepost]Well, I'm wrong. His real name is actually Brantley Gilbert. He's a real country music legend singer guy.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I do like some country music, but I'll admit to the "who" bit - I'd never heard of his music (loosely put, I wouldn't call what he puts out "country music"). Chicks dig him, and that's really all that matters sometimes - my SO likes him and she outranks me 2 black belts to zero.

The only time I'd even heard of Brantley was his engagement to another country "singer", again because my GF was talking about it with her friends. That "singer" was married or engaged several times for 1-3 months, was cheated on, and was on Dancing with the Stars - yep, sounds like the basis for another country music song…

Oh, yeah - Gilbert. Gawd, he sounds boring and derivative. I hope he's stashing some of that cash, he's going to need it in a year or so when nobody recalls who the heck he is.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I do like some country music, but I'll admit to the "who" bit - I'd never heard of his music (loosely put, I wouldn't call what he puts out "country music"). Chicks dig him, and that's really all that matters sometimes - my SO likes him and she outranks me 2 black belts to zero.

The only time I'd even heard of Brantley was his engagement to another country "singer", again because my GF was talking about it with her friends. That "singer" was married or engaged several times for 1-3 months, was cheated on, and was on Dancing with the Stars - yep, sounds like the basis for another country music song…

Oh, yeah - Gilbert. Gawd, he sounds boring and derivative. I hope he's stashing some of that cash, he's going to need it in a year or so when nobody recalls who the heck he is.
I like country music but I never heard of him before, either. He looks more like a hip-hop performer. But then I tend to listen to older country stars. Dolly, Waylon, Tammy, Patsy, Loretta, Willie. To me Garth Brooks is still that "new kid"! Though actually he's older than me.

And I will never listen to Billy Ray Cyrus. I found him appalling even before he sent Miley out into the world.

Hmm...Billy Ray Cyrus and Jony Ive...separated at birth? Lol. The things I find when I have insomnia!

IMG_0332.JPG Jony

IMG_0333.JPG Billy

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007

Sounds like you don't pay attention. Or don't use Apple Music.

Plenty of variety at the Apple Music festival last year: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-apple-music-festivals-headline-acts.1989768/

Sia performed at last years iPhone Keynote: http://pitchfork.com/news/68100-sia-performs-the-greatest-chandelier-at-apple-event-watch/

Etc, etc.

I like the Beats 1 shows. There's plenty of different types of music covered by the various presenters, not 100% coverage (never will be) but it should cover a decent percentage of tastes: http://applemusic.tumblr.com/beats1. I'm hoping like others have said that there are further Beats stations with more diversification.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Not a country music fan at all, but the ad was beautifully shot (I'm a sucker for black & white).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.