Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Elton John, Chance the Rapper, and Britney Spears Among Apple Music Festival's Headline Acts

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced the artist lineup for its 2016 Apple Music Festival, the free annual concert series that takes place at the London Roundhouse theater from September to 18 to September 30.

Headliners at the festival's 10th anniversary this year will include Alicia Keys, Bastille, Britney Spears, Calvin Harris, Chance The Rapper, Elton John, Michael Bublé, OneRepublic, Robbie Williams and The 1975, Apple revealed.

"Over the past decade, the Festival has brought the biggest and best artists from all over the world to London and into the homes of millions of music fans," said Oliver Schusser, Apple's VP of International Content. "This year's Apple Music Festival builds on that incredible legacy and we couldn't be more excited to have another amazing lineup to celebrate our 10th birthday." 
Prior to 2015, the event previously called the iTunes Festival lasted for a full 30 days, but was scaled down to 10 days with the revamp. Apple also now offers the music festival performances live and on-demand in the Apple Music App on iOS devices, as well as on Mac, PC, Apple TV, and Android phones.

Like last year, Apple is also set to offer special Apple Music Festival playlists, artist news, and backstage interviews via its subscription streaming music service.

Article Link: Elton John, Chance the Rapper, and Britney Spears Among Apple Music Festival's Headline Acts

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Line up seems kind of lame. Robbie Williams? Britney Spears?

Comment

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Its great to see Apple being different each year. We all have to have open minds and take in all types of music. I'll wait until after this event to pass judgement and so should others.

Britney Spears cannot sing. She sounds like a frog being strangled so I find it strange for Apple to want to associate themselves with someone like her. It's not like she's even got a strong back catalogue to make money from.

Reactions: George Dawes
Comment

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007

Seems pretty good to me in terms of popularity and variety of music.

Not my cup of tea, but a lot of those artists are popular. Robbie Williams was huge in the UK not long ago.

Reactions: orbital~debris
Comment

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Britney Spears cannot sing. She sounds like a frog being strangled so I find it strange for Apple to want to associate themselves with someone like her. It's not like she's even got a strong back catalogue to make money from.

The "value" of an artist is how much value (money) he brings. That's why movie posters have the face of the actors and a party have the DJs/Musicians in the line up.

Britney doesn't sing but her name is known and people talk about her. We are doing it now! Some people wouldn't even know about Apple Music Festival if it wasn't for some news about her. And to book her these days must be cheap. For her, even bad news is free advertising!

Comment

SpiderDude

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Portugal, Europe
I like how on the Apple website Chance the cRapper appears before Elton John but here on MR the post editor said screw that and Elton John became the first name again.

*ahh. the little things*
[doublepost=1472124167][/doublepost]
Have you seen the concert RW gave in Knebworth in 2003? It's a helluva performance, my opinion.
Latest music yeah I don't like it so much but the latest concert he gave here in portugal (in Rock in Rio) was mostly old goodies. I wouldn't mind watching that. The man is a stage animal (no idea if this is an actual expression in English lol)

Reactions: orbital~debris
Comment

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Serious question -- does the timing of this concert have any impact on the release of the iphone? At least in the UK?

It seems odd for the iphone to be released in the middle of their own festival - one will take attention away from the other. So I am wondering if they might release the phone (at least in UK) after the festival is done and use the festival as a marketing campaign to drum up interest.

Comment

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX

Apple today announced the artist lineup for its 2016 Apple Music Festival, the free annual concert series that takes place at the London Roundhouse theater from September to 18 to September 30.

Headliners at the festival's 10th anniversary this year will include Alicia Keys, Bastille, Britney Spears, Calvin Harris, Chance The Rapper, Elton John, Michael Bublé, OneRepublic, Robbie Williams and The 1975, Apple revealed.

Oh, Robbie, Robbie, we want you back!

Comment

Leo90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
From this list, I am only interested in Elton John, Bastille and Michael Buble so I applied for tickets. But honestly, Apple needs to stop focusing so much on hip-hop/electro. I mean..I like the genre, but Apple really overdo it sometimes on those hip hop artists. For instance, I simply can't listen to Beats One.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.