Latest Apple Music Android Beta Includes Support for Android Auto Platform

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 27, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple appears to be testing integration of Apple Music with Android Auto, according to a report today by Android Police. Discovered in the the most recent beta version of Apple Music on Android, Apple's streaming music app includes support for the Android Auto platform.

[​IMG]

With this support, Android smartphone owners can control playback of Apple Music songs directly from the infotainment center in their vehicle. Similar to CarPlay, Android Auto encourages drivers to focus less on their smartphones while in a vehicle, bringing numerous features from the handheld device onto a touchscreen placed in the dashboard.

The Apple Music version 2.6.0 beta on Android also includes numerous other features that have arrived to Apple Music users on iOS: lyric searches, updated artist pages, Friends Mix, and various performance improvements and big fixes.

Android Auto is an alternative to Apple's CarPlay, both offering customers in each ecosystem a way to easily get directions, make phone calls, check text messages, talk to voice assistants, and more.

Article Link: Latest Apple Music Android Beta Includes Support for Android Auto Platform

2. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502a

Mac-lover3

Wow that's nice I didn't think they would add that. Good for you Apple. I really like Apple Music in CarPlay.

3. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

Can we get it for Amazon echo? I'm not replacing my speakers with homepod just to use apple music.

4. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Still waiting on Apple to let us use our phones for CarPlay because some of us don’t want to drop $500 on a new head unit or $30000 on a new car

5. matthew12 macrumors member

matthew12

Wow. That's something I'd never expect Apple to do. For the few apps they put on other platforms (minus iTunes), they make them work really well.

6. KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

Still waiting for Apple to open up CarPlay to third-party music players, like Cesium. The CarPlay experience without an AM subscription is lousy. I just want to be able to play the music on my phone through CarPlay... shouldn't be as unintuitive as it is.

7. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502a

Mac-lover3

What do you mean by that?

8. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

As well. My new car doesn't have carpay nor can I replace the headunit. So I'm SOL.

9. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Hoping for them to add support for other set top boxes (AppleTV alternatives) at some point. Then I could use other devices to stream my library to my television.

I have AppleTV units. But other options would be a great addition.

10. larrylaffer macrumors 6502a

larrylaffer

In all fairness, Google added CarPlay support to Google Music quite a long time ago.

They mean they'd like the phone to have a CarPlay mode where you use the phone instead of an external screen, with a simplified UI and huge buttons. Android has this, and from what I've seen it's a fairly popular feature.

11. SoN1NjA, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018

SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Why can’t you get a new head unit?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 27, 2018 ---
    Android Auto lets you use your phone and it mimics what you’d see on your head unit

Here’s what it looks like — everything becomes big, I imagine notifications that aren’t important get tuned out, and so on

[​IMG]

photo courtesy of Engadget

12. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

All of the car's settings as well as the AC is integrated into the head unit ... with no aftermarket support.

13. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Damn... did you choose the make/model and not think about it or that’s the car you had to go with?

You said it’s a new car so it’s not like you’re buying some old ass car made before the iPhone 2G

14. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

I chose the car ... it's an Infiniti (not currently supported by apple carplay or android auto) ... the stereo was an afterthought lol

15. Aston441 macrumors 65816

I thought both TuneIn and iHeart work with CarPlay?

16. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

As it should be, imo.

17. ckhris1613 macrumors regular

Now give me iMessage support on android and you can keep ur apple phones. Until then im stuck in appleland

18. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

www.crutchfield.com

You're welcome. :)
    --- Post Merged, Aug 28, 2018 ---
    Why anyone would listen to radio is beyond me, but going even further by using their streaming app and thus essentially paying to listen to corporate controlled mass market media is borderline absurd.

Why would you downgrade?

19. China1 macrumors newbie

Today I installed Apple Music 2.6 (android version) on my Android 4.4 based car computer (central control).
    The user interface is more friendly. The landscape screen can display more albums. Slide is easier than before.

20. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

LOL. Already tried that a while back ... they do not recommend changing the factory head unit and do not have any aftermarket products.

21. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

Aww bummer man. :(

22. KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

They do, and so does Spotify and Prime Music, but right now, inclusion in CarPlay is by Apple invite only. So far all they've invited are other large streaming services. What I'm asking for is inclusion of an app like Cesium that is dedicated to playing music from the music library ON the device.

23. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

Two points here:

• Apple Music plays music just fine from my phone itself. I just tap on Downloaded Music. Is this not the case in Car Play?
    • Why would you want an app that doesn't have access to your entire library? I can see this being usable once the 512gb Xs-series phones are released, but not now.