Latest Final Cut Studio & 5D MRK II issue. Could use your advice.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by garrettjohn, Sep 1, 2009.

1. garrettjohn macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a 17'' MBP with the 7200rpm HD, and bumped the CPU to 3.06. Of course, I opted for the latest Final Cut Studio installment - the one I have been patiently waiting for. However, I have attempted to run my first editing trials with my mrk ii... and the video is incredibly choppy. When I move into Color the play back is just god awful. But my even biggest complaint is SmoothCam. Anytime I render a scene with that effect it becomes even more turbulent.

Perhaps, I am just looking over something obvious, which could be the cause to my downfall? I know this inquiry seams pathetic, but I could use some help. I am really interested to learn FCS.

Thanks for you time.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What format are you converting the 5D footage into before you edit it and what harddrive are you storing the files on? Color does not, and has never, offered real time playback. The skew and wobble problems the CMOS cameras have probably don't play well w/SmoothCam.

Lethal

3. zanlyons macrumors newbie

Hi.

You need to first convert your footage to prores 422. I recommend using the great (and free) mpeg streamclip which will do the job much faster than compressor.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

The 5d's native format isn't really designed for editing which is why you get the choopy playback.
    Apparently there's a plug in on the horizon which will allow you to transcode 5d footage to prores directly in Final Cut but I have no idea if or when it'll be available.

4. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

And to add to insult,the compressor 3.5 has a bug in it,so you cant transcode more materiel than about 47 clips of mkII material without it crashing.
    So if you have a bigger project,you will have to transcode them in patches smaller than 47 clips to keep things up and running.