Latest Firefox, anyone else having problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ascender, Sep 21, 2007.

1. ascender macrumors 68000

Since installing the latest version of Firefox via the automatic updater, my iMac has started to hang. It starts with the application itself becoming non-responsive, then while I can still move my mouse, the dock won't appear, I can't click on anything and I can't bring up the window to force quit anything.

At first I thought it was a problem with the iMac itself, but then I remembered that this only started since the new Firefox went on. I'm now using Safari and the problem hasn't re-surfaced.

Just wondering if its me or if anyone else has had similar?

Thanks,

Mike.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

By latest, do you mean the latest 2.x strain (I think, 2.0.0.7) or the latest 3.x developmental build? I have 2.0.0.7 installed, but I use Safari predominantly. If there's anything replicable I can test for you, I'll give it a try.

If you want to get back on Firefox, you might also try exporting your bookmarks and then moving your profile out of the application data folder, to force creation of a new profile. Often times, when Firefox is excessively buggy, the issue is related to an incompatibility between something in there and your Firefox, rather than a "core" bug in Firefox....

3. ascender thread starter macrumors 68000

Sorry, its the latest stable version (how ironic), 2.0.0.7. I'm running it on a new-style 24" iMac which has been rock solid up until now.

I'll try the new profile thing, thanks!

4. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Two crashes ("quit unexepectedly") in two days so I'm back on Camino. :mad:

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I started it up, and it's running at the moment and seems to be stable so far. I'll let it run a bit now to see, if I can. Mind you I'm on a PPC; so if this is an Intel binary thing, I can't help. :(

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I am having minor issues with Google Browser Sync and Firefox 2.0.0.7. GBS seems to fail to sync sometimes, other times it works. Google problem or extension incompatibility?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Firefox 2.0.0.7 with Adblock 0.7.5.2 and Grapple (EOS) 3.4 seems to be quite stable for me... and is reinforcing my decision to use Safari 3. :( So I'm closing it down now. ;) If you do come back with anything specific I can test for you, I'd be pleased to do so. :)

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I have a strange thing happening with Firefox in the UK Apple store…

Everything loads OK — but when I try to get onto the iPod Nano page Firefox crashes. Everytime! iTouch, MacBook, Mac Pro pages etc are all OK — but everytime I try the Nano page I come unstuck.

Bizarre. :p

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Arkitekt, the one on the left or the one on the right? Either way, they both seem to display fine for me.

[​IMG]

11. ascender thread starter macrumors 68000

Looks like I was wrong. Just had another crash while using Safari. Very strange. I can still hear iTunes playing in the background and move the mouse, so its not completely fallen over.

Where do you start troubleshooting this sort of problem on a Mac?

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Just to test it I managed to crash it again! :eek: Had to restart.
    The Nano link on the main page of the UK store…
    This one… It freezes when the progress bar at the bottoms says: waiting for storechat.apple.com and then Beachball! :mad:

Attached Files:

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For me, the link you circled leads to the window on the right of my screenshot above....

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

:D Alas, for me it leads to a Firefox freeze. Been like that since the new iPods were announced and the new UK store went up. Anyway. Now I just use Safari for the Apple store.

15. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I'm getting the same result. Though I can 'Force Quit' from the Dock.

16. CybrMike macrumors member

17. reubs macrumors 68000

I've been having the same problems with FF lately. If I open a tab and begin entering info quickly, the whole app locks up. Thankfully it gives me a restore option, but I still haven't gone over to Safari...(all my PWs and extensions are holdovers from my Windows days, and FF is the one app I can't do away with).

I hope a new build or an update will come out soon so I can verify what's happening, but as it stands a crash every couple of days is annoying.

18. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm on 2.0.0.8 and I'm having quite a few problems, on both of my computers. Firefox hangs quite regularly. I'm thinking about trying the export bookmarks solution. I'll let you know how it goes.

Update: I when I removed the firefox profile, the application wouldn't restart. So I'm redownloading.

Update2: redownloaded, reimported bookmarks. Everything seems to be working. It'll be a while before I know if this solves the problem.