Latest gen MBPro without Touch Bar?

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2002
What is the latest gen MacBook Pro 13" without the Touch Bar? Is it a 2017 or mid-2018 model?

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
The nTB MBP is still a mid-2017 model.

This model uses a 15W TDP CPU with Iris Pro graphics. Intel has not released 8th-gen CPUs that fit this specification (i.e. Iris Pro Graphics) - i.e. there is no direct successor to the chip on the nTB. Touch Bar models use 28W TDP CPUs. I don't think we'll see that chip in the near future, so Apple will either leave it as is or discontinue it.

Do have in mind though that the nTB MBP is still significantly faster than the new MacBook Air, both in raw power, sustained performance and (especially) graphics - the downsides being the older generation keyboard and lack of Touch ID.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2012
The nTB MBP is still a mid-2017 model.

This model uses a 15W TDP CPU with Iris Pro graphics. Intel has not released 8th-gen CPUs that fit this specification (i.e. Iris Pro Graphics) - i.e. there is no direct successor to the chip on the nTB. Touch Bar models use 28W TDP CPUs. I don't think we'll see that chip in the near future, so Apple will either leave it as is or discontinue it.

Do have in mind though that the nTB MBP is still significantly faster than the new MacBook Air, both in raw power, sustained performance and (especially) graphics - the downsides being the older generation keyboard and lack of Touch ID.
To be more specific about the older chips - they will be only dual core chips, not quad core like the 2018. For that reason I would not buy the 2017 and would learn to like the Touchbar.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
To be more specific about the older chips - they will be only dual core chips, not quad core like the 2018. For that reason I would not buy the 2017 and would learn to like the Touchbar.
You're right, but given the price difference ($500, more if you count taxes) I don't think the nTB and TB are competing.