Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fountaineer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
I just recently updated my macbook pro late 2008 to El Capitan from Yosemite and would like to make sure it has the latest GPU drivers.

Does any one know where and how to check and confirm for that as well as download it.

I'm attaching a screenshot below from my cuda preferences panel which i think normally is where i get the updates from but when i press CUDA Driver info & Updates nothing happens. so maybe there is another way..

any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 10.31.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 10.31.58 AM.png
    151.2 KB · Views: 623
Reactions: Alan11

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The GPU drivers are on the OS, so it'll be the latest macOS driver providing you're on the latest OS. You can't update them separately on your model as it doesn't support CUDA.

Besides it's a seriously old GPU with less grunt than any integrated GPU in a newer Mac. The performance difference would be negligible, even if you did find a newer driver.

fountaineer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Thanks. I was just hoping that one of my programs would at least run that needs cuda. Performance aside.

The GPU drivers are on the OS, so it'll be the latest macOS driver providing you're on the latest OS. You can't update them separately on your model as it doesn't support CUDA.

Besides it's a seriously old GPU with less grunt than any integrated GPU in a newer Mac. The performance difference would be negligible, even if you did find a newer driver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.