Latest Hacking progress (no progress...)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by madmaxmedia, Sep 20, 2007.

1. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

2. jay81 macrumors member

3. tm1000 macrumors member

4. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

It's only been a few days, and their regular bag o' tricks isn't working.

It seems like sooner or later though, something will open up by random, giving them an exploit. Like when Erica mentioned in an older update about disconnecting the Touch at the right time and being able to look at the data stream (or something like that.)

Here are all the updates from TUAW in chronological order-

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/15/the-state-of-the-itouch-jailbreak/ (9/15)
    http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/17/itouch-jailbreak-update-still-not-there/ (9/17)
    http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/18/state-of-the-itouch-jailbreak-slow-forward-progress/ (9/18)
    http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/20/ipod-touch-state-of-the-jailbreak/ (9/20)

EDIT- Also, here's a donation page if you wish-
    http://idevdocs.com/itouch/donate.html

5. rumz macrumors 6502

How long did it originally take to hack the iPhone? I think a lot of us just expected it to be a pretty simple deal done by piggybacking off what was learned through hacking the iPhone. Hmmm...

6. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

7. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

Mail, embedded google maps, adding calendar events, weather, stocks, alarms...

Plus the endless other possible applications not made by Apple. Hopefully, because no one is trying to get out of phone service agreements, Apple won't be too aggressive about defeating these hacks.

8. rumz macrumors 6502

Because we can.

No really-- because we want to be able to use other apps on it (be they the non-crippled calendar, google maps, etc, or other 3rd party apps)-- as the above poster alluded to before I posted my comments-- without having to sign up for cell phone service (already have another provider / phone / contract, etc.)

9. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

compare hardware

I'll be the first to admit I'm not really sure I know what they are doing, nor do I have any real expertise on hacking an ipod (other than maybe keeping a Windows NT server running at a large company for a few years)

However, I wonder if comparing the hardware would do any good at this point? I havent really looked at whats in common and whats not in common, could you use ipod parts on the iphone and vice versa. Coul you use the flash disks and put them on the ipod? Sorry if this is amazingly ignorant thinking

thoughts?

10. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Give it some time guys... I mean the iPhone took a bit of work to unlock, and though it seems they are the same platform, I'm sure Apple threw in a curveball and other methods will have to be looked into.

It will get hacked, be patient guys :)

11. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Why not do a search first?

Why not do a search first? There was already a thread relating to this.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=357815

And I'll repeat myself

"They don't have the brain trust dedicated to the iPod touch that the iPhone had/has. Also, Apple has changed things up that are making it much more difficult."

"Unfortunately for the overly optimistic, the iPod touch will have the features & functionality that Apple envisioned for a good while to come."

12. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

you maybe right.... .... you MAY be right....

however, I think we all (and yourself) hope you are incorrect in this! :) No argument here however...

THREE CHEERS FOR ARKANSAS!!! WHOOOO YEAH!!! (jk)

13. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

It's like living in a coma.;)

I thought the iPod was lost when mountain biking?;)

14. iketeru macrumors member

it seems like this is an isolated effort by 2-3 people from TUAW (i could be wrong), but the iPhone dev team consisted of at least 10 people. there just needs to be more brainpower contributing to the project, i guess...

15. tba03 macrumors member

to have VNC on it, remote control, mail, + button in the calendar...

16. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

I did actually, but Chris Hansen was probably there somewhere saying "No, Im sure you know... My name is Chris Hansen... and is that youuuurrr Ipaaaaaaad?"

17. nirvana06 macrumors regular

It is only a matter of time. I really want slingbox application. :cool:

18. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

all the iphone apps would be nice
    I already ahve them dloaded and ready to go

19. Quickdood macrumors regular

Are these guys the only people working on it? I would assume hacking the touch would go a lot faster because people all over the world and with all different cell phone carriers will be able to chip in...

20. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

not trying to be mean, but what does cell phone carriers have to do with the touch? Are you saying that everyone can work on it and not just at&t folks? However, I would point out that this is less motivation for people to want to crack it... since EVERYONE can have it from the get go.

Also, it lost alot of its luster since the iphone has been out for a while. I think we will have a hack for it soon, but I would doubt that there are thousand upon thousands of people working on it. Also, apple added new stuff to throw them off, old methods wont work.

I guess we will see, wont we :)

21. Quickdood macrumors regular

Yes I did mean not only AT&T people would work on it and now I see the flaw in my logic. Still I hope more than just 4 or 5 people are trying to hack this baby. It might even be smart for the iphone peeps to start hacking the touch because like TUAW said the new Iphone update might have very similar protections as the touch does now.

22. matias1021 macrumors member

just curious, will there ever be a hack where you can watch live streaming TV on your touch..like ESPN or something, that would be nice.

23. xerikx macrumors regular

I think you're jumping the gun a little bit here..

24. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

thats a really good point... we should tell everyone!

Arisian

25. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

iphone took 3 months to get a purely software hack. itouch has been out 2 weeks... give it some time!