Latest Hotspot feature news

Discussion in 'iPad' started by H0mersimps0n, Mar 12, 2012.

1. H0mersimps0n, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2012

H0mersimps0n macrumors newbie

Driving from northeast to FL this Saturday and bought and am taking delivery on my AT&T iPad 4g on the 16th.

I'm having serious second thoughts for two main reasons 1. Hotspot capability 2. Verizon superior coverage along i95 corridor in the southeast.

As many have pointed out in other threads AT&T has horrible coverage of 3G down i95 from DC to Jacksonville and my wife would like to be able to use her laptop for work on our drive down. All of our iPhones are AT&T so I was thinking I should have gone Verizon to give her service for the drive using my new iPad hotspot feature.

The problem 2 problems are 1. neither company has committed to hotspot openly and 2. This means i need to return my AT&T iPad 4g unopened and probably wait a week for Verizon version- I'm not a patient person.

So, looking for any of the latest rumors or hopefully soon confirmation regarding what each company is going to do hotspot wise so I know by Friday and before we leave Saturday whether I can open my new iPad or not.

Thoughts? News?

700 views and no response?

I know this is an important issue to many.

I've read the rumor mill websites saying "it looks like a yes from Verizon and an eventually from att".... was just hoping people could use this thread to post new rumors and eventually confirmation of hotspot.

In looking over the Verizon orders everything says 2-3 weeks if I order the verizon one now vs just keeping my att one sans hotspot.

Guess I screwed the pooch for this trip.

2. racer1441 macrumors 68000

3. SCAR504 macrumors newbie

Save yourself the trouble go for the Verizon, 2 Reasons Coverage in your area is great and the Hotspot feature will most likely be free and working.

4. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

I worry about the same thing. I scour the web for new info about the data plans, but I don't think we will really know until the 16th. You still have 14 days opened or not to return. I've read quite a bit about Verizon charging start stop fees on Ipad 2, at least at some point. We'll have to wait and see. I hate exchanging too...and the wait!!

5. H0mersimps0n thread starter macrumors newbie

should I just order the verizon one now or do you think I'll find one in the store before the 2-3 weeks they will be available online? I guess if att pulls a miracle release of hotspot then I could just cancel the verizon one online.

I've also been thinking about just buying a verizon mobile hotspot but without a contract its like $267 for the device and really I only want it for our trip to FL next week. Going to call Verizon today and see what the return policy is on a hotspot device.

I'm so pissed at myself and these companies for not being forthright with these features, I REALLY wanted to have this for our trip and now it looks like we.ll have nothing.

Wish these stupid telecom's would get their **** together and just officially release their hotspot plans...

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Im leaving for Florida next Friday and even though I've been all att forever I decided to order Verizon this time because of the trip (no AT&T coverage the last 3 times) and Verizon having the more mature lte network. The hotspot situation was just an added bonus after I ordered the Verizon and started to wonder if I made a mistake. So far pretty happy with the choice to switch to Verizon this time.

7. H0mersimps0n thread starter macrumors newbie

lol thanks for rubbing it in

8. pavvento macrumors 6502

While I don't want to defend the telcos (because they're pretty awful) Apple gets some of the blame for not sharing any information before launch. Decision making in large companies can be slow and if they weren't given a heads up that there would be an option to tether (I'm not sure if they were, or not) then it is reasonable for them to take more than a week analyzing their options.

9. aka777 macrumors 6502a

AT&T is practically useless on the east coast. Especially between the DC to NY corridor.