Latest IMAC 27" losing time?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thegrapeguy, Mar 8, 2012.

1. thegrapeguy macrumors newbie

I've noticed that when my IMAC goes to sleep and then I shake the mouse minutes of time has been lost from the clock. Granted the screen is asking me to log in again and when I do the time clicks back to normal correct time. Shouldn't the clock always be right when it's displayed?

I tried searching this issue and many links come up and I read a few of them. They seem to be quite complex. Is there a specific way to "right" your clock? Thanks...

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

When I wake my iMac (and my macbook for that matter) it sometimes displays the wrong time (usually from when I put it in sleep) and then it pops back to normal in a few seconds. I don't think it's a major issue.

I don't use the login screen though so it might be different for you.

3. thegrapeguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems like an issue to me though. The times comes up correct after powering down the computer and powering it up the next day... The fact that yours sometimes does it and sometimes not is fishy. It's messed me up a couple times. I peer over at it while I'm teaching a half hour music lesson and I think I've got 10 minutes left in the lesson and I look again and I've taken the student 10 minutes over.

4. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

That is quite different then. Mine only lasts about 30 seconds at most so it never really does anything like that. Not sure about that.

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Do you have date and time to set automatically in your preferences?

6. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

If you look behind the iMac you should see a little hole between plus and minus signs. Just get a screwdriver and put it in the hole and twist the screw inside a little to the plus side.

Seriously, a PMU or SMC reset?

7. Hwilensky macrumors member

I am having the same issue as OP. I just noticed that today. I have a brand new iMac. When it comes out of sleep mode the time is incorrect for about 3-4 seconds. Should this be an area of concern?

Thanks,
    Hwilensky

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

No, this happens to even my MBP, so it would be software. Non-issue.