Latest iMac: Upgrade HDD to SSD by User?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by legaleye3000, Jan 29, 2014.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

Someone purchased an iMac for me for work; however, I'm more into speed than space. It comes with a 5400rpm drive (AH!). Can I self-upgrade it to a ssd with these new skinny iMacs? Thanks.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nope, you can't.

It's impossible to open it up. Unless you know how to take apart the screen and put it back in one piece.

3. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

I guess yjchua95 worded it one way.

Another way would be:

Yes you can.

But you have to remove the screen and stick it back down again, which whilst not difficult is not supposed to be an end-user upgrade. You can buy kits on ebay and elsewhere that provide the necessary instructions, cutting wheel (to cut through the sticky foam tape holding the screen in place), and replacement foam tape.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

5. garycurtis macrumors 6502

My local MacMall store repair dept. will do the job for $120. But, like someone said. it does void the Apple warranty.

6. lefty224 macrumors member

Gary where's this at? So I pay $120 for the install and I bring me own ssd? If I'm interested, which ssd should I buy?

7. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

8. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh... So this thread isn't ripe yet since we can't buy a ssd to match anyway?

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

use a good external SSD via Thunderbolt connection.

10. andycho7 macrumors member

Technically yes, you can get those PCI blade SSDs. As those SSDs are the same that goes into the 13 inch rMBP and MBA and if you happen to find a used blade on eBay or something, then you can. Probably pricey though!

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

You still have options even if you can't find an OEM PCI SSD to use. Use an external Thunderbolt SSD (which with a quality enclosure will be quite fast) or replace the internal SATA drive with a SATA SSD. Won't be as fast as a PCI-based SSD but still plenty fast.

12. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I have absolutely no experience with these devices, but you can also buy SATA Blade SSD Modules on eBay.

Apparently, they go into the blade SSD socket and then connect by cable to a 2.5" SSD installed in the HD bay.

I don't know how well it works but it's a really great idea. If the BlackMagic screenshots in the description are for real, it's getting the full PCIe speeds.

You can also find many Mac-compatible blade SSDs on eBay as well.

13. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Cheapest, easiest, fastest way:

Get either a USB3 or thunderbolt 2.5" external enclosure.

Pick up the SSD of your choice.

Put the drive into the enclosure.

Attach the enclose with velcro to the back of the iMac's base, and plug it in.

Initialize the drive with Disk Utility.

Then, either "clone" the contents of the internal to the external, or install a "clean" OS onto it.

Ready to use, without opening the iMac, and will be functionally indistinguishable from an internally-mounted drive, speed-wise.

One additional benefit: easy to un-attach the drive and take it with you, if need be.

14. DOlsson macrumors member

This has my vote as the best solution.

I've wanted to do this for a while, but I'm waiting for nice Thunderbolt SSD enclosure to surface and I'm still unsure which size SSD I want to go with it.

All in time, but that will be the "upgrade" I get for my 2013 iMac.

15. daudi81 macrumors regular

I'm considering doing this, but will this be noticeably slower than buying and installing a compatible internal one?

16. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

It will be noticeably slower in benchmarks.

In actual usage? I highly doubt you'd notice the difference.

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

This won't work in the 2013 iMacs. They have a PCI blade connector, not a SATA blade connector.

18. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Thank you for the correction. :eek:

19. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Back when megabytes were king, the standard advice was 'image how much you're ever going to need and then double it'. I would add 150-250GB to whatever your drive is holding now, minimum.

20. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Not necessarily, not if you use a good external adapter. Using a Seagate Thunderbolt adapter, I've tested multiple SSD drives. They consistently perform on Blackmagic benchmark as well externally as they do internally.

21. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Those speeds shown in the BlackMagic screenshots seem quite high for a SATA SSD ... perhaps they are using both SSDs in a RAID-0 which would explain the high speeds. That would be pretty nice however ... :)

-howard