Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sulten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
when i open iTunes i have a set of folders that are labeled
Alternative
80's
My top rated
and etc

I have moved some songs from my windows PC to my MBA and would like to add songs to that set folder iTunes has labeled on the left but when i drag them to the folder it doesn't add them. some songs are already there i guess how the file was labeled or etc. how do i add songs to that folder that already has songs or do i have to create a folder and playlist

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
If there's a gear icon to the right of the list name, those are Smart Playlists - they populate automatically, based on the metadata associated with each song (artist, genre, last played, etc.).

You can create your own Smart Playlists, too, with criteria you choose.

You can edit the metadata (add additional info, reassign genres, etc.). Just "Get Info" - right-click/control-click on an album or song and select Get Info.

You'll find the "Smart" concept in a number of Mac apps, including Mail and Photos/iPhoto/Aperture.

Sulten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
thank you everyone i figures it out how to get the songs to the gear or smart playlist so i double clicked and then did edit criteria then for the year of songs or Rock / alternative or etc. then i went to the song in iTunes and double clicked that and did get info. then i change the info to alternative and it put the song in the alternative gear or smart playlist. thanks everyone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.