Latest Java update problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by antfuzz, Oct 27, 2010.

1. antfuzz macrumors newbie

I ran an update today for Java and I'm now having trouble getting chat rooms to run. I run three or four chat rooms at a time and now I can only get one to run. When I log out I have to quit Safari and then log back in to the chat room. I've never had a problem like this before so I have no idea where to start. Although I did reinstall the latest update with no success and also repaired permissions.

Any help would be much appreciated.

iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz Mac OS X (10.5.8)

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Which IM client?

3. antfuzz thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not instant messaging that I'm having a problem with, its chat rooms.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Chat rooms in a browser? If you need help, then you will get it quicker if you don't force us who want to help you to play 20 Questions.

5. antfuzz thread starter macrumors newbie

In my original post I did specify chat rooms, excuse me for not mentioning chat rooms in a browser. If there are other types of chat rooms I'm not aware of them.

I rarely have trouble with my Mac and when I do I can generally find the answer within this forum. There's no reason for you to be so snide with your remark. Obviously since you didn't ask for any other specifics you most likely don't have the ability to solve my problem.

6. antfuzz thread starter macrumors newbie

After contacting AddonChat problem solved.

It appears as though Oracle's most recent Java update introduced a bug. The bug appears to mostly be affecting OS-X and Windows XP users, causing either an error message to be displayed or preventing the user from seeing text in the main chat display. The issue only seems to occur after a user has already loaded the chat room.

Earlier today we released a workaround patch for this bug in AddonChat in version 8.60.00.27. Initial testing on all platforms indicates that the latest release appears to have resolved the issue.

Users continuing to experiencing problems will need to empty their applet cache. This can be done in a number of different ways, though it's often easiest to simply shutdown all open browsers, then open the browser application again.