Latest Jony Ive video...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark-vdw, Oct 28, 2016.

1. mark-vdw macrumors regular

When they started doing those Jony Ive videos 10 years ago I really liked them. But the latest ones just seem so full of marketing spin that it just isn't funny anymore.

"The new MacBook Pro combines the fundamental qualities of an ultraportable device with uncompromising performance. With our new design, the product's overall volume has been reduced dramatically. This results in an extremely purposeful and powerful creative tool."

So really... the performance is uncompromising? You didn't have to make a single design trade-off where you may have slightly reduced the performance to keep heat and battery usage under control? Also, reducing the volume of the machine results in a powerful creative tool? Like, not even "in spite of the smaller volume it's still powerful", but really the reduction in volume causes the powerfulness? Man, things must be nice up on planet Jony.

I understand that they want to go for ultra-slim, ultra-portable for the consumer space. But I really don't understand why even for pro machines that are going to be used on the same desk for 90% of their lifecycle, they still insist on going all-in on this slimness fetish.

</rant>

2. uptownnyc macrumors 6502

"the fundamental qualities of an ultraportable device with uncompromising performance"

So it's thin and light, which limits battery capacity, meaning you can't put a more power-hungry CPU and more RAM into it. That's not compromising how?

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Can you point to another laptop that has the incredible amount of bandwidth the MBPs have? Any other laptop that can drive four 4K displays with no lag or stutter?

I feel like people just look at specs and don't consider how they actually interact with each other.

4. tyche macrumors 6502

They made the video card thinner than a penny! Pretty soon you'll be able to carry your MBP around in your pocket.

5. leman macrumors 604

I'll give you the thing with the RAM. As to the other points... there simply isn't any more power-hungry CPU. Like, it doesn't exist. Unless you count desktop in (which is a really big jump). The max legal battery capacity for portable computers is 100W if I understand correctly. So you are limited by that at any rate.

So, let's think what could Apple have done by retaining the old size. They could have put a larger battery in (e.g. the 99Wh one instead of the 76Wh one), increasing the battery life by one or two hours. As to finning more power hungry components... well, here is a problem. There isn't really anything more power hungry that would still fit the bill. Next mobile GPUs would be the 1060 or some form of Polaris 10, but both are more then twice as hot as the Polaris 11 chips they use in the MBP. So given the design constraints, Apple went for increased mobility. I think it was a very reasonable choice.

6. dashwin macrumors regular

dashwin

Any improvement over weight IMO is welcome. I tend to max-out the PRO versions and use it as the laptop for both casual browsing and PRO work. I don't want to have to buy a MacBook Air or a 'thinner' PC. I've been burnt before by buying one of those poorly performing netbook or chrome pc's. Besides, I like having all my content, apps, settings at home on ONE system, not having to switch system's and settings is a huge timesaver for me.

7. whiteshadoww macrumors 6502

whiteshadoww

Every time he speaks all I hear is "unapologeticlly plastic".

8. theitsage macrumors 6502a

Let's talk real-world usage rather than specs/marketing materials then. Once the new 15" MBP optioned with a Radeon Pro 460 hooks up to four 4K displays @ 60MHz, the GPU will be fully taxed. In another word, one has to spend at least $2,600 on the MBP + $1,600 on the displays and not be able to get any work done.