Latest Keynote... is it as bad as Pages supposedly is?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pixelatedcoffee, Nov 3, 2013.

1. pixelatedcoffee macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've read a lot about the new version of Pages and how it has lost plenty of features; a kind of port of the iOS version. Is the new version of Keynote the same? I haven't seen too many comments about Keynote exclusively so just wondering what, if any, key features have been removed?

Thank you.

2. Grogfoot macrumors member

Grogfoot

A quick look at the Apple forums and you'll see that the list of new features is significantly shorter than the ones removed. So while the list of removals may not be as long as Pages, its certainly not an "upgrade" in features.

As an example of why this only lasted on my HD for about five minutes: Since they are attempting to make every presentation iOS compatible it will take any existing presentation and attempt to convert any and all embedded multimedia to a format compatible with iOS. This will either downsample the movies or make them unusable. Either way, its terrible.

So sad. :(

3. pixelatedcoffee thread starter macrumors newbie

Argh. OK. Thank you. I will take a poke around the Apple forums but chances are I will leave the update for a bit. :)

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

5. Grogfoot macrumors member

Grogfoot

Keep in mind that the update is free, and you can download and even install the update without harming your iWork '09 applications (they get put into a separate folder in your Applications folder).

The only precaution is that if you open an existing file with the new version it will modify it and convert it to the new version. My point being that if you make duplicates of your files there is no reason why you can't play around with the new version and see for yourself. If, like me, you hate it you can throw it in the trash and continue to use your '09 versions.

6. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

If you are starting from scratch Keynote 13 is not as bad as Pages. Pages lost a lot more in this transition. If you have existing Keynote files proceed with caution. Search for Les Posen's blog for details.