Latest Macbook Air - Smashed Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JamesBerry, Sep 5, 2011.

1. JamesBerry macrumors member

Hi:

A large light fitting just fell down and landed on my (closed) macbook air 13" (latest edition). The back is dented and the screen is cracked.

It looks through the fuzz like it still boots though.

My insurance will cover it but I have a £500 excess. Just wondering, but I'm guessing that if I go into Apple and get them to quote to repair it it could well be less than that - anyone any idea of the cost?

Best wishes
    James

2. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

Back in 2008 I smashed the screen on my MacBook (black polycarbonate) and the repair cost was £263 (£203 for the screen, £14 for two hinges and £46 for the labour). This is not the same screen as you're dealing with but I am sure the cost will be less. If you have an Apple store near you then it's worth booking a Genius Bar appointment and popping in with it. I would have thought they'd be able to give you a quote on the cost straight away (on the assumption it is exactly the damage it appears to be) rather than taking it away and the appointment is free (costs would only start building up once it went into the back room so to speak).

Alec

3. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    big bummer!
    the only one way to find out I guess and that's to head on in.
    you could always trawl eBay to see how much replacement lids are going for to get a rough idea.
    somehow, I think Apple's tech fees could bump you well over the 500 quid :(

whichever way you go, personally I'd be getting it fixed then flogging it off and buying a new or refurb replacement if you intend to keep it for a while.
    I'd say your warranty may now be void due to significant damage even after repair.

4. JamesBerry thread starter macrumors member

Total quote for repair including labour just a tad over £300. Booked in.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

That's not too bad, all things considered. Someone on the boards here from Austria was quoted EUR600 to fix the screen. I'm not sure what it is here in the US, but I'd guess it is more than $450. It would have been $755 to replace the logic board on my 2010 MacBook Air after I spilled a glass of liquid onto it (the Genius Bar gave me a one-time waiver).