Latest macbook pro 15" shutdown hangs after Lion upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RoskO, Jul 28, 2011.

1. RoskO macrumors member

I upgraded to Lion and every once in a while it just won't shut down now. When I go to shut down, it acts as though it's going to work, I get the spinning progress wheel and it just hangs. I let it sit like that once overnight, and it was just spinning in the morning. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Anyone have recommendations on logs or other areas I could get detailed info (or turn on more verbose logging) ?

Thanks

2. RoskO, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

RoskO thread starter macrumors member

Hopefully this will help some others out. I had a suspicion that it might be due to vmware fusion, so I stopped loading vmware as a service on boot. This seems to allow me to shutdown instantly, much faster than before when it was loading on boot.

I simply edited the plist file for vmware in /System/Library/LaunchDaemons

and removed the string that starts it. I'll post back if I find a workaround on the vmware forums.

I should probably note, you won't be able to run vmware after doing this unless you manually run the daemon. You can run "/Library/Application Support/VMWare Fusion/boot.sh --start" manually if you want to run VMs after this hack.

3. lokiju macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip!

It pointed me in the right direction after doing a Google search and finding this point.

I didn't have the plist in the same spot you noted but decided to dig more into if it was and found the uninstall vmware.app file under /library/application support/vmware.

Ran that, which completely removes Vmware Fusion without touching your VM.

I rebooted afterwards and it's the fist time I've rebooted without it hanging on the shut down since upgrading to Lion.

There's a number of articles out there from VMware on the issue.

They suggest making sure you're updated to the latest and greatest version of Fusion prior to doing a Lion upgrade (which I was) and then doing a reinstall after the Lion upgrade.

I've been using virtualbox more and more as it is so just went with doing a full uninstall of Fusion but suppose doing a reinstall as VMware suggest would do the trick as well.